20030728: McIDAS dmsyn.k runaway process (cont.)

>From: Unidata Support <address@hidden>

Hi Tom,

I logged onto cacimbo and found out why dmsyn.k was still using up all
of the CPU.  Even though the v2002b version of dmsyn.k was built in
~mcidas/mcidas2002/src on July 15, it, and the rest of the XCD part of
the distribution, was never installed:

[mcidas@cacimbo src]$ ls -alt dmsyn.k ~/bin/dmsyn.k
-rwxrwxr-x    1 mcidas   apps       304140 Jul 15 13:28 dmsyn.k
-rwxr-x---    1 mcidas   apps       313500 Jan  8  2002 /home/mcidas/bin/dmsyn.k

This was most likely caused by doing a 'make install' instead of a
'make install.all' after the v2002b build was finished.  No biggie...

I stopped the LDM and installed the v2002b XCD routines with:

<as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm
ldmadmin stop

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas/mcidas2002/src
make install.xcdbin install.xcddata

<as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm
ldmadmin start

Please let me know if you see any of the XCD processes (e.g., dmsyn.k,
dmsfc.k, dmgrid.k, dmmisc.k) soaking up CPU (they shouldn't now that
the bugfix is in place).

While I was on cacimbo, I took the liberty of FTPing the latest LDM
release, LDM-6.0.14, from the UPC and building it:

ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> yoksas@cacimbo
  cd pub/ldm
  get ldm-6.0.14.tar.Z
  quit

tar xvzf ldm-6.0.14.tar.Z
rm ldm-6.0.14.tar.Z
cd ldm-6.0.14/src
./configure && make && make install

Since 'ldm' does not have 'sudo' privilege on cacimbo, the installation
is not finished.  When you have time, could you do the following:

<as 'root'>
cd ~ldm/ldm-6.0.14/src
make install_setuids

<as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm
ldmadmin stop && rm runtime && ln -s ldm-6.0.14 runtime && ldmadmin start

Thanks in advance...

Tom

>From address@hidden Mon Jul 28 18:35:41 2003

Thanks, Tom,

Ldm was next on the list. Thought I did a make install.all
with McIDAS, but evidence is to the contrary.

I did the setuids and restarted ldm, so we're good to go.
Thanks for building it.

Tom