20030714: 3D nexrad

>From: "Alliss, Randall J." <address@hidden>

Randy,

>I saw for the first time on the tv local weather a 3d depiction of the
>nexrad radar. I am assuming they used both the nexrad reflectivity and the
>TOPS parameter.

Who knows?

>Does something like this exist in McIDAS and/or xrd.

McIDAS is inherently a 2D plotting system.  For 3D views of the NEXRAD
data, you could use things like the ORPG or Unidata's IDV which is
built on top of VisAD.  Each of these requires the Level II NEXRAD data
for 3D rendering, not the Level III products that are sent in
NOAAPORT.  Unidata will be facilitating the distribution of the Level
II data to the university community in conjunction with the NWS'
collection of the data using the Unidata LDM.  This effort is a
follow-on to the current CRAFT project being run out of the University
of Oklahoma (that also uses the Unidata LDM for data collection and
redistribution).

>thanks,
>Randy

Tom