20030612: McIDAS-X on RedHat 7.3 Linux

>From: "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Marianne=20K=F6nig?=" <address@hidden>

Hi Marianne,

re: McIDAS build speed tests on RH Linux and FreeBSD

>I am interested!

It is quite something to build the entire distribution in under 6
minutes!  This makes doing nightly builds (a must for development)
possible.  For comparison, the slowest machine we have in house
(running IRIX 6.5) takes over 3 hours for the same build.

>Funny that you mention RedHat 7.3, because I was just going to scream for help
>on that one: I tried installing mcidas on my laptop on RedHat 7.3 (with the
>correct version of gcc, that I verified, f2c I am not so sure about). What
>happened was that the make/install reported no errors, I can start up mcidas,
>but (with the GUI option on), the image window just displays the GUI title in
>its title bar, but no GUI actually starts up, and no command really works,
>mcidas soon crashes with a "segmentation violation"; without the GUI option,
>the image window does not even appear.
>
>What can I do about this?

Your last comment about the image windown never appearing when you
are not running the GUI suggests to me that you are running in the
KDE environment, not Gnome.  We have seen numerous instances of McIDAS
not running correctly under KDE while, at the same time and on the
same machine with the same build, it runs correctly under Gnome.

If you really are running under KDE, I recommend switching to Gnome
and seeing if your mcimage/GUI problems go away.

>Many thanks,
>Marianne

No worries.

Tom

From: "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Marianne=20K=F6nig?=" <address@hidden>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:12:27 +0200

Hi Tom,

Ok, I found it - it was the KDE desktop which mcidas did not like. So
just throw all my mail away.

have a nice day!

We have 33++  (C) outside, my office is probably 36 (C). Rather hot.

Marianne

>From address@hidden Thu Jun 12 09:01:11 2003

Hi Tom,

It was the KDE. I found that out in the meantime. You probably got my other
email too late where I sort of told you to forget it, I got it working.
ON my little Laptop (Compaq Evo N410c, it just takes a little over 8 minutes,
so that is quite good).
I will bring this most famous installation with me to Madison so you can all
admire it!

Marianne