20030527: McIDAS installation at UFRJ (cont.)

>From:  David Garrana Coelho <address@hidden>

Hi David,

Well, I finally got the time to setup brisa to access images sectors
that cover the area you noted that you were interested in:

>          Well, about the sectors, we work currently with some mesoscale
>  models covering the region 20-26 degrees south, 40-46 degrees west. For
>  this area, we would like the best temporal/spatial resolution, all bands
>  available.  If possible, we would like this area to be expanded a bit,
>  mostly over the continental region further southwest.

Currently, 5 images sectors centered on 23S, 53W are being created
on brisa (from ADDE access to the server that has the full data) every
half hour.  I added crontab entries in the 'ldm' account that will
also create sectors for folks in Belem and Buenos Aires, Argentina,
but did not turn them on yet.

The areal coverage and resolution of the images currently being created
can be seen in the following images:

0.65 um (visible) - resolution - 1 km:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/tom/gifs/goeseast_vis_resolution.gif

0.65 um (visible) - area coverage - 2 km:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/tom/gifs/goeseast_vis_extent.gif

3.9 um (short infrared) - area coverage/resolution - 4 km:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/tom/gifs/goeseast_39_resolution.gif

6.5 um (water vapor) - area coverage/resolution - 4 km:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/tom/gifs/goeseast_wv_resolution.gif

10.7 um (thermal infrared) - area coverage/resolution - 4 km:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/tom/gifs/goeseast_ir_resolution.gif

13.3 um (long infrared/CO2) - area coverage/resolution - 4 km:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/tom/gifs/goeseast_co2_resolution.gif

All of the above images are at their highest resolution: 1 km for
the VIS sector, and 4 km for each of the infrared sectors.

We should talk about the areal extent of these sectors and make
any adjustments that are necessary.  I also need to explain the
GOES-12 scanning so that you will understand when you see missing
portions of images.  I will need to do that tomorrow as time is
running late.

>          Another sector would be all south america below 10 degrees south,
>  or if our network bandwidth allows, all south america, for our synoptic
>  studies. Again, best temporal/spatial resolutions available, all bands.

Let's put this off until we agree on the sectors that lie over your
modeling domain.

>          Our priority is the first sector mentioned, and due to our
>  probable bandwidth restrictions, I believe one strategy to tune is try the
>  mentioned sectors, for visible/IR/WV, then start tweaking it by adding
>  aditional bands (we have no experience in the use of other bands, but
>  would LOVE to learn by having it available)

I agree.  Please take a look at the sectors represented in the URLs
above and let me know what you think.

From: David Garrana Coelho <address@hidden>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 17:07:00 -0300 (BRT)

>       Btw, not meaning to rush you (again), really. We here are very
>eager to see MCIDAS since we had seem the capabilities of it in Unidata
>homepage.  The ability to put satellite/obs data/model output on the same
>product, on the fly...sounds too good to be true....=). Our teachers and
>researchers are very anxious to see this working. (So do I) :=)

I did the preliminary setup of McIDAS on brisa to the point that it
will work with the new sectors being created.  I have not setup
decoding of the observational data into McIDAS formats since I wanted
to get the image sector creation working properly and have us agree on
the next step(s).  With what I setup today, you will be able to display
not only the images that are being created on brisa, but also the
images from which they were created.  In addition, you will be able to
load single images and loops and overlay them with decoded
observational data.  The next step in my mind after we agree on image
sector extents is to have you run through a simple McIDAS session so
you can get a feel for what is possible and then go from there.

I've got to run...