20030417: calibration units (redux)

>From: Don Murray <address@hidden>

Don,

>I have not heard back from MUG on my request for calibration
>unit definitions.  Is it that hard of a question?  Do you
>know the answer?

I don't know the answer off of the top of my head, but I could
slog through the code to find the answer.

>We are doing a release of the IDV and I was hoping to include
>support for all known calibration units, but I need the answer
>to my previous question.  Should I contact MUG again?

I would contact Dave Santek directly.  He will be the one that
will answer anyway.  The response may be slow since SSEC is
in the midst of testing/development for the v2003 release
which is scheduled for the second week in May.

>From address@hidden Mon Apr 14 08:08:28 2003
>
>Hi-
>
>I'm working on the java ADDE stuff and am trying to
>support calibration info for an image request.  In looking
>through the kbx modules, I came across the following
>unit specs:
>
>MW**
>WM**
>
>I'm guessing the latter is W/m2, but want to confirm
>that MW** is mW/m**2/ster/cm**-1.  Is that milliWatts
>for the first unit spec? (I got this from kbxgms.dlm)
>(Also, note that the "official" abbreviation for
>steradian is "sr", not "ster").
>
>Also, in kbxmods.dlm, WM** is the unit for RAD and
>MW** is the unit for RADN.  What's the difference
>between these two quantities?
>
>Thanks.
>Don

Tom

>From address@hidden Thu Apr 17 10:44:21 2003

Tom-

Unidata Support wrote:

> I don't know the answer off of the top of my head, but I could
> slog through the code to find the answer.

I slogged through a lot of the code, but only found something
in kbxgms.dlm for part of the answer.

> I would contact Dave Santek directly.  He will be the one that
> will answer anyway.  The response may be slow since SSEC is
> in the midst of testing/development for the v2003 release
> which is scheduled for the second week in May.

I figured that might be the case, but it should be a quick answer.
I'll contact Dave directly.

Thanks.

Don

>From address@hidden Fri Apr 18 08:06:32 2003

Hi Don,

Sorry for the delay in response. There was a mixup about who was
responding to you.
Per Dave Santek:

"These abbreviations are contained in the routine clabel.for:

     IF (CUNIT.EQ.'WP**') THEN
          CLABEL='Watts/meter**2/steradian'
      ELSE IF(CUNIT .EQ. 'MW**') THEN
          CLABEL='milliwatts/meter**2/steradian/(cm-1)'
      ELSE IF(CUNIT .EQ. 'WM**') THEN
          CLABEL='watts/meter**2/steradian/micron'

RussD should be able to help with the RAD & RADN differences [found in
kbxmods.dlm]."

This is inquiry 12079.

>From address@hidden Fri Apr 18 08:20:39 2003

Hi-

mug wrote:
> Sorry for the delay in response. There was a mixup about who was
> responding to you.

Okay.

> Per Dave Santek:
>
> "These abbreviations are contained in the routine clabel.for:
>
>  *    IF (CUNIT.EQ.'WP**') THEN
>           CLABEL='Watts/meter**2/steradian'
>       ELSE IF(CUNIT .EQ. 'MW**') THEN
>           CLABEL='milliwatts/meter**2/steradian/(cm-1)'
>       ELSE IF(CUNIT .EQ. 'WM**') THEN
>           CLABEL='watts/meter**2/steradian/micron'*
>
> RussD should be able to help with the RAD & RADN differences [found in
> kbxmods.dlm]."
>
> This is inquiry 12079.

Thanks.  I guess I didn't grep on enough source files.  I only
looked at *.f and *.dlm.  Should have checked *.for also.

Don