20030414: problem with IMGREMAP in version 2002 (cont.)

>From: Unidata Support <address@hidden>

Hi Owen,

re:

>From address@hidden Mon Apr 14 13:08:22 2003

>Okay, there are some GMS-5 and GOES-10 WV AREAs on the Aeronomy lab ftp site.
>FTP to ftp.al.noaa.gov
>I just tried to combine the AREAs from May 3, 12 UTC and still ran into the
>same problem.
>Please let me know what you find out.

I grabbed the GMS-5 and GOES-10 images you made available by FTP and
verified that there is a problem using the McIDAS v2002x IMGREMAP
to combine the images.  I went out to the SSEC MUG inquiry web site
and found out that others have experienced problems with IMGREMAP
when MERGE=YES is specified.  I tried downloading the most recent
code from the SSEC CVS and used it to build a new IMGREMAP executable
which I then used in the same tests you provided.  The results were
that the problem still exists in the new code.

I did find out that you can use the McIDAS 7.8x version of IMGREMAP
with v2002 with no apparent problems.  You can do this in two different
ways, both of which must be done as the user 'mcidas':

1) copy the 7.8 version of the IMGREMAP executable to the v2002
   ~mcidas/bin directory

2) make a backup copy of the v2002 IMGREMAP source; copy the 7.8
   IMGREMAP source to the v2002 src directory; and remake the
   the IMGREMAP executable

Option 1) is probably the easier way to make the change, so I recommend
that you use it:

<login to the machine that Hsie built McIDAS on as 'mcidas' and do the
following; I include instructions for Solaris and Linux since Hsie had
things a little different on those platforms>

Solaris:

cd solaris/bin
mv imgremap.k imgremap.k.2002
cp ~/mcidas7.804/src/imgremap.k .

Linux:

cd linux/bin
mv imgremap.k imgremap.k.2002
cp ~/mcidas7.8/src/imgremap.k .

>Thanks!

Sorry for the problems.  Hopefully, a fix for the problem will be developed
by SSEC and made available before the next McIDAS release.

Unidata Support wrote:

> >From: Owen Cooper <address@hidden>
>
> Hi Owen,
>
> I finally have time to look at the IMGREMAP problem you uncovered.
> I thought that I would be able to do this using GMS imagery from an
> ADDE server at SATEPS (NOAA), but the access I once was granted seems
> to have disappeared.  So, I would greatly appreciate being able to get
> one or more GMS images from so I can troubleshoot.  Also, I note
> that the data you are working with is not real time.  Given this, it
> would be good to get the GOES-10 image that you are trying to combine
> with  the GMS-5 image.  The best way to get the data would be if you
> could put this on an ADDE server that I have access to.  The second
> best way would be to put the images on an FTP server that I can get
> access to.  Since we don't have a publically accessible FTP server
> that users can upload data to, I can not provide you with an FTP
> server name for upload.
>
> As soon as I can get some images that you are unable to combine, the
> sooner I will be able to figure out what may be wrong.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom
>
> >I'm having a problem with using IMGREMAP in MCIDAS_2002
> >
> >Below is a script that worked fine with MCIDAS 7.8, which remapped a
> >GMS-5 image into the projection of a GOES-WEST image. I am using the
> >same technique that I learned in the MCIDAS workshop in 2001.
> >

> >IMGREMAP ITCT/GMS5_IR MYDATA/IMAGES.13 DAY=2002126 TIME=00:32 SMOOTH=YES
> >PRO=MERC 40 LATLON=36 -158 SIZE=960 3816 RES=5
> >SF 1;ERASE F;IMGDISP MYDATA/IMAGES.13  MAG=-2 -3 SU=IR_OC EU=IR_TEST;
> >MAP SAT 1 LALO 8 INT= 10 20
> >
> >IMGCOPY MYDATA/IMAGES.13 MYDATA/IMAGES.14 SIZE=960 2404
> >SF 2;ERASE F;IMGDISP MYDATA/IMAGES.14  MAG=-2 -3 SU=IR_OC EU=IR_TEST;
> >MAP SAT 1 LALO 8 INT= 10 20
> >

> >IMGREMAP ITCT/GOES10_IR MYDATA/IMAGES.15 DAY=2002126 TIME=00 SMOOTH=YES
> >PRO=MERC 40 LATLON=36 -158 SIZE=960 3816 RES=5
> >SF 3;ERASE F;IMGDISP MYDATA/IMAGES.15  MAG=-2 -3 SU=IR_OC EU=IR_TEST;
> >MAP SAT 1 LALO 8 INT= 10 20
> >

> >IMGREMAP MYDATA/IMAGES.14 MYDATA/IMAGES.15  MERGE=YES PRO=DEST;
> >SF 4;ERASE F;IMGDISP MYDATA/IMAGES.15  MAG=-2 -3 SU=IR_OC EU=IR_TEST;
> >MAP SAT 1 LALO 8 INT= 10 20
>

> >Now that I am using the script in version 2002 the last step fails:
> >IMGREMAP MYDATA/IMAGES.14 MYDATA/IMAGES.15  MERGE=YES PRO=DEST;
> >
> >The new image (MYDATA/IMAGES.15) looks exaclty as it did before the
> >IMGREMAP command, i.e all I get is the image from the GOES-WEST
> >satellite, the region that should contain the GMS-5 image is just white.
> >
> >Could this be something to do with a bug in the Sun compiler that you
> >mentioned in the release notes?
> >
> >Any ideas?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Owen

Tom

>From address@hidden Mon Apr 14 16:13:46 2003

Hi Tom,
It worked!
Thanks,
Owen

Owen R. Cooper
Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES)
University of Colorado/NOAA Aeronomy Laboratory

NOAA Aeronomy Laboratory, R/AL4
325 Broadway
Boulder CO 80305
ph:  (303) 497-3599