20021125: DMSYN takes over CPU

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

Hi Robert,

I noticed that Mark Chambers of Universal Wx made a MUG inquiry that
said "DMSYN takes over CPU and process has to be halted...then restarts
OK".  While trying to troubleshoot a DMSYN problem on Gilbert
Sebenste's RedHat 8.0 Linux machine (using GCC 3.2 (gcc and g77)), I
found a lot of memory leaks and potential memory leaks in routines
called by XCD decoders and for the potential for an infinite loop in
m0syndec.for I made a number of fixes to the following routines to try
and solve Gilbert's problem:

stnqry.c
m0syndec.for
m0shpdec.for
mcinfoid.for
M0buildidt.c

So, my questions are:

o is UniWx is still experiencing a DMSYN problem
o if yes, does the problem correspond with the creation of a new
  output MD file
o on what machine (OS, etc.) are you seeing the problem
o what compilers were used to build McIDAS-XCD
o if you are still experiencing the problem, are you interested in
  trying out my code changes

It could well be that I have found the problem that DMSYN is running
into, but I should know more later today when it tries to create new MD
files.

BTW, I will be looking into the GMS problem you reported sometime today.

Tom