20021113: fkey (cont.)

>From: "Fingerhut, William A" <address@hidden>

Bill,

re: upgrading to v2002

>I noticed in your report to the usercomm that many schools
>were still using v7.8 . Perhaps they did not have time to
>upgrade before classes started, as we did. If so, then
>allowing more time between releasing an upgrade and the
>start of class might be beneficial ????

I have always wanted to have a new release available at the beginning
of the summer since this would give folks 2.5 to 3 months to install
it and work out upgrade warts.  The problem I have is that I get a
new release from SSEC at the end of May or beginning of June.  I then
have to add all of the Unidata modifications/enhancements AND test
on a variety of platforms.  This invariably reveals numerous problems
that I have to find, fix and report back to SSEC.  After I have a release,
I have to put together a complete set of web pages for it.  While a lot
of the web content doesn't change, a lot does.  With all that needs
to go into a new release, I find that I just barely have time to
have it working and documented before the workshops that have been
held at the end of July/beginning of August for the past two years.
Needless to say, my entire summer gets consumed with distribution
preparation tasks.

>I just tested the downloaded gui's and they worked fine.
>You can cross that problem off your list !

OK, but your next note reveals a new problem:

>From address@hidden Wed Nov 13 07:44:56 2002

>I'm sorry about this, but I see another strange result.

>I used the fkey menu to create a vertical cross section of dewpoint
>from upper air data. In the text window, a UACROSS command is generated
>with PARM=TD; a cross section is displayed; but, it is labeled at the
>bottom as THA (K) POTENTIAL TEMPERATURE. The data look like THA; they
>increase with height. ???

I will have to check this out.  Your comment about a UACROSS command
being generated with PARM=TD points to a problem in UACROSS, not in
the Fkey gui components.  I will need to investigate this to find where
the problem really lies.

Tom