20021111: McIDAS 2002 install woes at UGa

>From: <address@hidden>

Hi Tom,

>I've tried to install McIDAS 2002 on both a Sun Sparc
>system and on a linux system. (Not cacimbo yet, I want to
>make sure I can get it installed on some other system
>first.) The Sparc system is less important, but no dice on
>either.

Were you using the vendor compilers on the Sun?

>On the linux system it seems to choke when it gets to the
>hdf portion. It specifically can't find the
>/home/mcidas/mcidas2002/hdf/hdf/src/libdf.a file. I believe
>this is a RedHat 7.2 system. (Cacimbo is a patched RedHat
>7.0 system, BTW.)

I have built v2002 on RedHat 7.1, 7.3, and 8.0 Linux systems with
no problems.  I have been using the VENDOR=-g77 flag on the make:

make all VENDOR=-g77

This enables the use of the gcc/g77 combination of compilers.  If
you don't have g77, you can use the VENDOR=-gcc flag to tell make to
use gcc/f2c/mcfc.

>I tried to get on to your web site to look at the
>documentation to see if something changed in the install
>procedure for this version or if I forgot something. The
>links weren't working.

Nuts.  I just went to the new web site and see that the Software link
does not work.  The old web site, however, does work:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/2002/index.html

>I'm not sure what more I can tell you. Any suggestions...

I need to know which compilers you are using and their versions.  This
is how to get that information from gcc/g77:

gcc -v
g77 -v

I also need to know if you defined the following environment variables
in your Unix session before compiling:

CC
CPPFLAGS
CFLAGS
FC
FFLAGS
CXX

The Notes and Warnings docuement included in the v2002 web pages:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/2002/mcx/warnings_mcx.html

shows how to define these in your Unix session before attempting a
McIDAS build.  Here is what I have when building on our Linux systems:

CC=/usr/bin/gcc
CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran
CFLAGS=-O
FC=/usr/bin/g77
FFLAGS=-O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic
CXX=

(CXX is blank since McIDAS doesn't need the C++ interface for netCDF
built).

If these were not defined, please do so (adjust the value of FC if you
are using gcc/f2c/mcfc as per notes in Notes and Warnings) and then
clobber all of the stuff that had been done to that point and rebuild:

<login as 'mcidas'>
<define the environment variables as listed above; this is best done in
 your shell-specific definition file: .cshrc for C shell users; .profile
for Bourne shell users, etc.)>

cd mcidas2002/src
make clobber
make all VENDOR=-g77         (change to VENDOR=-gcc if you are using
                             gcc/f2c/mcfc)

Please let me know what the results of this test are.

Tom