20021022: McIDAS support for Instituto de Aeronautica e Espaco

>From: "Daniel Vila" <address@hidden>

Hi Daniel,

>How are you?

Very well, thank you.

>Do you remember me?

Of course.  I should have resonded to the email that you sent to me
and others informing us of your new email address.

>I`m installed in Brazil working with satellite imagery (I`m trying at least).

So, what kind of satellite ingest systems are at CTA?

>South America and rainfall estimation are my "key words".

OK.

>At first (as I supposed when I see you in Buenos Aires) nobody uses McIDAS
>here. It's a pitty but it's a great opportunity too!

Oh well!

>Now, I need to install it in my machine but....which version do you suggest
>to install, 7.8 or 2002?

Definitely v2002.  It is the one that I am keeping up to date on for bug
fixes.

>Today, all links in download page were broken. (?)

Hmm...  This is strange.  We do not see this problem from here.

>My second question is about image navigation. I'm using NASA data from
>(http://rsd.gsfc.nasa.gov).

OK, I just took a look at some of the files on this site.

>We have two matrixes, one with GOES IR data (in
>tiff format, no problem) and the other is a lat, lon template.

I just read the readme.nav file I found in the link for Brazilian VIS images:

http://rsd.gsfc.nasa.gov/goeseast/brazil/vis/

>This matrix
>is always the same for all images. All images are in satellite projection.
>You told me that I need to put something in the navigation block and tune
>some parameters. I'll apreciate any kind of help to begin with my
>visualization work.

I am not quite sure how to handle the navigation as (lat,lon) pairs.
I will need to research this a bit before I can give you a procedure
for using the GSFC images in McIDAS.  I can say first off, however,
that you will need to convert the images from TIFF format to a flat
file that can be read by the McIDAS routine MAKEAREA (MAKEAREA reads
data from a flat file and copies it into a McIDAS AREA file).  Since
these images are in satellite projection, it may be easier to use
the original GOES navigation and add it to the AREA file created by
MAKEAREA.  The part that is needed, of course, is the navigation
portion on a day-by-day basis.

>Thank you in advance.

No worries.  I will look into the process needed to convert the
TIFF images into McIDAS AREA and get back to you.

>p/d: Do you have any report if someone is running McIDAS with Conectiva
>Linux (it's something like the brazilian version of Red Hat). Everybody uses
>this distribution here!

I installed McIDAS-X v2002 on a machine running Conectiva 8.1 Linux
at the Universidade Federal do Para (UFPA) with no problems.

Tom

>From address@hidden Wed Oct 23 04:48:09 2002

re: download pages links broken
>Today, everything is working fine.

re: TIFF must be converted to flat file for MAKEAREA
>No problem with TIFF format. I have a fortran routine (pure g77) that read
>the image and make a quality control. The result of this process is a flat
>binary file (integer*2) with the IR brigthness temperature of each pixel.
>However, the result of the algoritm I'm running is a flat binary file
>(integer*2) too! I prefer to ingest this kind of file instead of TIFF file
>(or both perhaps...)

re: readme.nav file for Brazilian VIS images:
http://rsd.gsfc.nasa.gov/goeseast/brazil/vis/

>This is the correct file and I can manage it (pure g77 again). I can get  all
>pairs in the output format that McIDAS can ingest.
>I'm working also with

>http://rsd.gsfc.nasa.gov/goeseast/argentin/ir4/

>becuase the southern Brazil and Argentina are in the southern Hemisphere
>scan, but the procedure is the same.

re: installed McIDAS-X v2002 on a machine running Conectiva 8.1 Linux

--
Daniel Vila
address@hidden