20020903: HDF to CDF and MCIDAS to CDF (cont.)

>From: "Petersen, Walt" <address@hidden>

Hi Walt,

Once again, sorry for not being able to get to this before now...

>Thanks for getting back to me! (understand the delay- no problem).
>
>The McIDAS data are ingest files collected by the CIRA groundstation at CSU
>for several different channels.  I apologize for being vague- this is
>actually why I need to put things in netCDF, I don't use McIDAS on a regular
>basis, and ditto for HDF (I really dislike HDF!).

So, either the files are of images in McIDAS AREA format, or they are
images in some sort of a raw format used by CIRA.

>The HDF data are NASA TRMM data which I've used the HDF toolkits on before,
>but, it would be so much easier to do an "hdftocdf" conversion on things and
>just use my netCDF libraries etc.

I am sorry that I can't point you to a generic HDF -> netCDF converter.

>For the McIDAS data I was wondering if there are similar converters one can
>make calls to on a command line (e.g., via a Linux shell) along the lines of
>"mcidas_to_cdf infilename outfilename".  Does that make sense?

Yes, your question does make sense.  The only command line program I know
of that can be used to convert satellite imagery in McIDAS AREA format
to a netCDF is one available at:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/visit/netcdf

This page explains what is needed to run the Java application, and what
options are available for the netCDF output.

Again, sorry to take so long to get you back a reply...

Tom

>From address@hidden Tue Sep 10 13:55:57 2002
>Subject: RE: 20020903: HDF to CDF and MCIDAS to CDF (cont.)

Tom-

Mucho gracias!  Very helpful on the McIDAS to netCDF.

Walt

Dr. Walt Petersen, Sr. Research Scientist
ESSC/NSSTC
University of Alabama-Huntsville
Huntsville, AL 35899

Phone: (256) 961-7861