20020819: McIDAS-XCD on a new RedHat 7.3 Linux box

>From: "Fingerhut, William A" <address@hidden>

Bill,

>I hate to bother you again, but we are stuck.
>
>Foxfire was hacked, and we are building another server, zeus. Later, we
>will rebuild foxfire, and zeus will become a backup. For now, foxfire
>is limping along -- its ldm is feeding zeus.

Man, don't you just hate those hackers!!

>Steven installed all the software, and I fixed what I could find.
>However, I can't get the xcd completely working. The gridded data
>appears okay. There are no *.RAT files and the surface and upper air
>data are not being filed in MD files.  In fact, xcd is not creating any
>MD files.

OK.

>Since this is pretty similar to our last problem, I dug out your email
>and checked everything you mentioned. Needless to say, that did not
>help me.

Yes, it does sound exactly like the last problem.

>If you have any suggestions, I would sure appreciate hearing them. If
>you want to log on, that is certainly okay too. The ip is 155.42.21.33;
>and the rest is the same as before.

I just logged in and see that the only MD files are the ones being
created by the ldm-mcidas decoders for NLDN lightning and FSL wind
profiler data.

Since the problem I fixed last time was caused by the lack of the file
SCHEMA in the directory where XCD decoders create their output, it
strikes me that it would be useful to reorganize how you are storing
your data.  Right now you are putting the XCD decoded files into
/var/data/ldm/mcidas/xcd and the ldm-mcidas decoded files into
/var/data/ldm/mcidas/xdata.  Would it cause you problems if all of the
McIDAS data was put into the same directory?  If you have scripts that
expect the ldm-mcidas produced AREA and MD files to be located in the
/var/data/ldm/mcidas/xdata directory, we could make this a link to the
single directory.  Also, it seems to me that now is the time to get the
latest McIDAS-X release, v2002, installed and running.

What I propose is that I:

1) download McIDAS-X v2002
2) build and test v2002
3) uninstall v7.8
4) install v2002
5) consolidate McIDAS data files into a single directory: ~ldm/data/mcidas
   which is /var/data/ldm/mcidas on your system.  Again, if you have scripts
   that depend on the existence of separate /var/data/ldm/mcidas/xcd
   and /var/data/ldm/mcidas/xdata directories, then we can create links
   to them.

It is possible (likely?) that you have some sort of a setup where the
directories being filled with McIDAS data files are being shared by other
systems.  Is this true?  If so, what would be the impact of consolidating
the McIDAS data directories?

One other question.  I see the directory /var/data/ldm/mcidas/labstuff.
I has a number of Unidata-supplied and Lyndon-generated files like
enhancements, etc.  It also has an LWPATH.NAM file.  Is this directory shared
by multiple systems?

I need to really understand your installation (and get your permission)
before I start making changes.

Tom