20020730: Data sets - 69760 (cont.)

>From: William C Klein <address@hidden>

Bill,

>What about the command line version of McIDAS, will the print facility
>work from there?

The comment I made in my previous email addressed this:

>> You can always save the contents of a display to a PostScript file using
>> the MCGUI.  Once the PS file exists, you then need to send it out to
>> your PostScript printer using lpr.

To be explicit, you must first save the contents of a frame as either a
PostScript or Color PostScript file, and then use the normal Unix 'lpr'
command to send that file out to a PostScript printer.  The MCGUI has
the interface that allows you to save the contents of a frame in a
variety of formats: GIF (tm), PPM, BMP, JPG, PS, and CPS.  Use its
function to save the contents of the frame in either PS or CPS, and
then run the lpr command from the command line:

!lpr <lpr flags if any> <fname>

This command can be run from the MCGUI console that is brough up when
you click the left mouse button on the icon that contains the keyboard
at the top of the MCGUI.

Notes:

1) The '!' (exclamation point) at the beginning of any line tells McIDAS
   that the command is to be executed in a Unix shell.

2) you must determine any line printer flags that need to be included on
   the lpr command line.  This will vary from site to site/printer to
   printer.

3) you must provide the name of the PS or CPS file that you created
   using the MCGUI save facility.

Here is an example that I ran to send the output to our PostScript
printer that is has the name 'hp':

!lpr -P hp TEST.PS

After your note yesterday, I took a look at the work involved to create
a MCGUI function, and felt it was small enough to tackle immediately.
Therefore, the v2002 distribution MCGUI will have a print action
included.

Tom