20020416: GOES Imager ch.1 calibration

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 11:49:35 -0400
To: address@hidden
From: "Peter Romanov" <address@hidden>
Subject: GOES Imager ch.1 calibration
Sender: address@hidden

Hello,

Does anybody know what calibration coefficients are used in McIDAS to
convert GOES Imager ch.1 count into albedo value ? It looks like this
conversion is slightly different from what is recommended by NOAA.

The NOAA procedure to convert raw count to albedo is as follows
(http://www.oso.noaa.gov/goes/goes-calibration/goes-vis-ch-calibration.htm):
R=m(X-Xsp)
A=kR
where R is reflectance, X is a raw count value, Xsp is a space count and A
is albedo.

In particular, for GOES -8 Imager
m = 0.5501873  [W/(m2-sr-m-count)]
k =  1.92979 x 10-3  [(m2-sr-µm)/W]
Xsp= 29

hence,   A=1.06(X-29)

However with this formula I am getting albedo values, which are 0.3 to
0.4% less than the ones calculated in McIDAS. It seems, that the reason
for the difference is in the lower value of the space count (around 26)
used in mcidas. Of course the 3 counts difference is small considering
the noise and sensor degradation with time, but nevertheless, what is
the right way to do the conversion ?

Thanks,

Peter

Peter Romanov