20020404: ADDE access log

>From: Eirh-Yu Hsie <address@hidden>

Hsie,

>Where do you specify the location of the ADDE access log

What you should do is add a file REDIRECTion from a McIDAS session running
as the user 'mcidas':

REDIRECT ADD SERVER.* /home/ldm/logs/SERVER.LOG

Then, still as 'mcidas', create the file and set its read/write permissions:

%touch /home/ldm/logs/SERVER.LOG
%chmod 666 /home/ldm/logs/SERVER.LOG

Lastly, since the LDM has a nice way of rotating log files, add a cron
entry to rotate the log and change its read/write permissions:

#
# Rotate ADDE access log files just past 12 midnight on first day of month
#
1 0 1 * * bin/newlog logs/SERVER.LOG 3; chmod 666 logs/SERVER.LOG

How often you rotate these log files is up to you.  I setup cumulus
to rotate the logs once per month.  On motherlode (ADDE.UCAR.EDU),
I rotate the logs once per week since it gets a lot more traffic than
all of the other community ADDE servers.

>(/home/ldm/logs/SERVER.LOG) and how do you view it?

Unidata McIDAS has an application, ADDEINFO, that is used to review the
contents of the log file(s).  I typically run ADDEINFO from the Unix
command prompt:

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd workdata
addeinfo.k

This default invocation of ADDEINFO gives a summary of ADDE transactions.
For example, here is an ADDEINFO listing from cumulus:

cumulus:[43]% addeinfo.k
ADDEINFO: Start
ADDE Cumulative Totals: 2002091.073506 - 2002093.202501
IP                Bytes Sent  Client Name
-----------------+-----------+--------------------------------
140.172.240.32      8.77D+08  cumulus
130.253.215.243     3.40D+06  driserver.natnet.du.edu
152.18.35.166       6.93D+06  typhoon.atms.unca.edu
129.72.27.38        1.92D+03  coyote.uwyo.edu
All                 8.88D+08     931

You can, however, tell ADDEINFO to list out more specific information for
each transaction.  For more information on the various options supported
by ADDEINFO, please review the online help for it in a McIDAS session:

HELP ADDEINFO

Tom