20020311: gribdec.k decoding of AVN WAFS 1x1 degree grids (cont.)

>From: "Hoeth, Brian" <address@hidden>

Brian,

>You "da man".  Thanks for the quick feedback and thanks for putting that
>sample GRDDISP on the web!

I was hoping that seeing the results would be more convincing than being
told that things work :-)

>I'm thinking that if your gribdec.k can handle
>that huge AVN file, it should be able to take on any of the other GRIB
>files,

Just so that credit is given where credit is due:  The original
gribdec.tar.Z release was put together by Chad Johnson, formerly of
SSEC.  What I did was take his bundle and find out why it and XCD were
unable to decode the very grids you are interested in: the 1x1 degree
global grid 3s.  To do this, I had to learn about how grib data is
decoded in McIDAS, and then find out why things were not working and
fix them.

>except perhaps the Ensemble data?

The McIDAS grib decoders (XCD/gribdec.k) do not know how to decode the
ensemble data.  The reason for this is that the vertical level for
those grids do not conform to the "normal" pressure levels that the
McIDAS grib decoders were written to handle.  At some point, I might be
tempted to figure out how to augment the grib decoding so that the
ensembles can be decoded into McIDAS GRID form, but that project is way
down on my list of things to do.

Tom