20011228: McIDAS7.8-04

>From: James Frysinger <address@hidden>

Jim,

>I finally got my system restored enough to rebuild mcidas. As long as I was
>at it, I decided to use the newly released version with the 4th addendum

I was hoping that you would do this.

>so I
>pulled it down off the download page and started to build it. The process got
>stuck on 'make all'. Here's the result of doing 'tail makelog':
>
>mcidas@metric:~/mcidas7.8/src> tail makelog
>rm -f woablk.o
>mcfc -c -I. -I../netcdf/libsrc -I../jpeg -I../zlib woablk.f
>woablk.f:
>   woablk:
>compile woablk.for:             done
>./mcar libmcidas.a dblg.o dnvblk.o indexx.o nvsyd.o rblg.o wblg.o wnvblk.o
>woablk.o
>update  libmcidas.a:            done
>./convdlm mdxgra.dlm
>./mclog: ./convdlm: No such file or directory
>convdlm mdxgra.dlm:             FAILED

This shows that the convdlm executable was not created as it should have
been.  At this point, no McIDAS macro programs (ones that end in .mac)
will be built, and the build will continue to fail.

>I started back at the beginning before doing this... to edit the shell, set
>up .mcenv, etc. Per our previous discussion, I did _not_ change vendor to
>-gcc in the makefile.

This should not be necessary as '-vendor' and '-gcc' should mean the
same thing on Linux (i.e., the "VENDOR" compiler on Linux is taken to
be the gcc/f2c/mcfc combination).

>I may try that tomorrow or just pull up a copy of the
>7.8-03 that I have and make it.

There is nothing wrong with the update file, mcupdate.tar.Z.  Several sites
have downloaded and rebuilt using it with no problems.

>Thought you'ld want some feedback on the new tarball. Do you suppose a file
>got left out of the build?

No, I am pretty sure that this is not the case since it has been used
at more than one site to do the update.  What we need to do is figure
out why convdlm did not get made.  To do this, look in
~mcidas/mcidas7.8/src/makelog for the entries related to the building
of convdlm.  These will be near the beginning of makelog.

Let me know what the compile/link error was, and we can go from there.

Tom