20011204: convert AREA files to HDF files

> Sorry if this is off topic for this list but I need to find
> a program or script that will convert McIDAS AREA files
> into HDF format.  Specifically I need to convert GOES-8
> images in AREA format into HDF format for use in IDL/ENVI.
>
> Does anyone know how to do this?

If you need only a fast way to do this (for example in order to
apply
an IDL command to the image) you can made this procedure that I use for
import the GOES images to PV-WAVE (similar to IDL).

a) Run the McIDAS command AXFORM. With this command you generate one
   bynary or ASCII file with the data.

Example to create bynary files with all the 18-band of GOES
sounder with the radiances:

IMGCOPY GOES_SERVER/IR.0 LOCAL_AREA/MIAREA.1
AXFORM number_area name_file BAND=ALL UNIT=RAD FORMAT=I$

this creates the files:
$HOME/mcidas/data/name_file.001
$HOME/mcidas/data/name_file.018

b) Import to IDL with the read binary command (or ASCII)

Example of procedure for import to PV-WAVE (run
lee_gvar,name_file,mi_gvar to obtain the data):

PRO lee_gvar,nombre,gvar

gvar=fltarr(324,189,18)

for i=1,18 do begin
;  format i3.3 writes 001 002 etc.)
    fichero=string(i,format='(i3.3)')
    fichero=nombre+'.'+fichero
aux=lonarr(324,189)
        openr,unit,fichero,/get_lun
         readu,unit,aux
        free_lun,unit

; divide by 1000.0 para dar radiancias (si se leen Temperaturas
; modificar y crear otro adaptado (dividir por 100. y restar 273 si
; se quieren grados centigrados)
        gvar(*,*,i-1)=aux/1000.0
endfor
return
end

--
Dr. Miguel A. Martinez Rubio
Jefe Seccion Satelites. Servicio de Teledeteccion