20011113: McIDAS make and install on HP-UX 11.i (cont.)

>From: "Hoeth, Brian" <address@hidden>

Brian,

>Thanks, as always, for your inputs.  I'll try messing around with the make
>and/or messing around with the mcidas7.8.sh file and see what happens.

Keep us informed about your successes!

>Tom: Do your HPs that have HP-UX 11.0 on them have the f77 compiler on them
>or just the f90 compiler?

We have the f77 compiler.  We do not have the f90 compiler.

>Thanks!

Later...

>Brian Hoeth
>Sustaining S/W Engineering, Lockheed Martin
>Consolidated Space Operations Contract
>Office: 281-218-2240
>Pager: 281-613-1020
>address@hidden

Tom

>From address@hidden Wed Nov 28 11:24:29 2001
>To: "'Unidata Support'" <address@hidden>
>Cc: "'address@hidden'" <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>   "Biggerstaff, Brice"
>        <address@hidden>,
>   "Batson, Bryan"
>        <address@hidden>,
>   "Glenn, Robert"
>        <address@hidden>
>Subject: RE: 20011113: McIDAS make and install on HP-UX 11.i (cont.)
>Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 14:37:55 -0600

Hello,

Thought I'd share what I've found.

Well, the McIDAS install on HP-UX 11.i with F90 seems to have gone fine.
(Unfortunately, our local code is not compiling with F90 very well).

Anyways, I ended up having to edit a few files in order to get the preferred
compilers for HP-UX 11.i (F90 for FORTRAN and cc for C):

Here's what I changed:

(1) mcidas7.8.sh
Changed all references from F_COMP=f77 to F_COMP=90

(2) mccomp
Under the HP-UX block of logic, changed fc=fort77 to fc=f90
(Perhaps SSEC can add a -fc flag and/or a -cc flag so the user can specify
which FORTRAN and/or C compiler he/she wants, so they're not stuck with the
default compilers (e.g. cc and fort77 compilers for HP-UX???))

This seemed to be all it took for the McIDAS core stuff to install and
compile okay.  Everything was cruising along fine, then I got an error on
the netcdf portion of McIDAS.  So, I went to the
/home/mcidas/mcidas7.8/netcdf directory and edited some of the config files
in there (configure.in, macros.make, macros.make.in).

(3) configure.in
Added a section under HP-UX for B.11.11.
Just copied the 11.00 section, but changed FC=${FC-opt/fortran/bin/fort77}
to FC=${FC-opt/fortran90/bin/f90}

(4) macros.make
Changed CPP = c89 -E to CPP = cc -E
Changed FPP = c89 -E to FPP = cc -E
Changed CC=c89 to CC=cc

(5) macros.make.in
Changed CPP = c89 -E to CPP = cc -E
Changed CC=c89 to CC=cc
Changed FC=f77 to FC=f90

Other than these changes though, I just had to follow the normal McIDAS make
and installation procedures
(sh ./mcidas7.8.sh make)
(sh ./mcidas7.7.sh uninstall)
(sh ./mcidas7.8.sh install)

The install seems to have gone okay.  We have noticed some slow response
times every now and then, but we have also not tuned all of our kernel
parameters as of yet, so we're thinking that's why.

As I eluded to earlier, a good portion of our local code unfortunately is
croaking with the F90 compiler.  Not your problem though, just bad
programming on our part.  Hope you find this info useful.