20011112: McIDAS make and install on HP-UX 11.i

>From: "Hoeth, Brian" <address@hidden>

Brian,

>Well the time has come for us to start experimenting with making and
>installing McIDAS (and our local code) onto our new HP here.  We've loaded
>HP-UX 11.i on the new HP machine (J5600) and we have f90 as our FORTRAN
>compiler on it (since f77 wasn't provided with the new machine).

>Has SSEC or UNIDATA done anything in regards to making and installing
>McIDAS on HP-UX 11.0 or higher (i.e. 11.i)??

Unidata builds McIDAS 7.8x on HP-UX 11.0.  We do not have any higher
version of HP-UX in house.

>Do either of you have an updated mcidas7.8.sh
>script that will compile the McIDAS code w/ f90 instead of f77?

The Unidata version of McIDAS does not use the mcidasN.M.sh approach
for building the distribution.  Unidata sites CD to the src directory
and run make.

>I was going
>to go into the mcidas7.8.sh script and play around with setting the
>"F_COMP=f90" instead of "F_COMP=f77", but I didn't want to go and make
>changes if this work has already been done (why re-invent the wheel right?).

Good thinking.

>Also, I'm thinking there's more to it than just changing the FORTRAN
>compiler from f77 to f90, but I wasn't sure, so that's why I ask.

I think that there may be a way to run the f90 compiler in f77 mode.
Check the man pages for f90/f77 on your box.

>Any help
>you could provide for me would be great, thanks!!

Using HP-UX 11.i is the _bleeding_ edge I am afraid.  Good luck!

>Brian Hoeth
>Sustaining S/W Engineering, Lockheed Martin
>Johnson Space Center
>Consolidated Space Operations Contract
>Office: 281-218-2240
>Pager: 281-613-1020