20011105: creating .mcidasrc

>From: Harry Edmon <address@hidden>

Harry,

>I am trying to create a .mcidasrc file.  I started up mcidas on a Sun with no
>.mcidasrc file in my home directory, expecting mcidas to create it.  But it is
>not created.  What should I look for to correct this problem?

In Unidata McIDAS-X 7.8x, you should do the following:

mcidas config

Since there is no .mcidasrc file, the last radiobutton option at the end of
the GUI startup:

Save configurations values to defaults file [YES|NO]

should be set to YES.  Starting McIDAS at this point will create
the .mcidasrc file in the HOME directory as long as the user has write
permission there (which s/he should).

It seems now that I should modify the GUI startup to automatically create
.mcidasrc if one doesn't already exist.  I will include this in my next
addendum.

Tom