20011102: creating goes8/10 composites

>From: "Alliss, Randall J." <address@hidden>

Randy,

>I am interested in producing goes 8 and 10 composites over the conus using
>PRO=RECT. I am getting not so good results.
>
>SSEC gave me this set of commands, however, i want res=4 and SIZ=ALL. When i
>do this i get a very messy result.
>
>IMGREMAP WESTL/CONUS A/A.4000 LAT=38 96 BAND=4 RES=10 PRO=RECT
>TIME=13:30 DAY=305
>IMGREMAP EASTL/CONUS A/A.4001 LAT=38 96 BAND=4 RES=10 PRO=RECT
>TIME=13:32 DAY=305
>IMGOPER A/A.4000 A/A.4001 A/A.4002 SCALE=0 255 0 255 SIZE=ALL FORM=CMIN
>ZERO=DATA
>IMGDISP A/A.4002

These commands will take the minimum value from each remapped image and
put it in the composite.  It seems to me that you would want the maximum
value, not the minimum value.

>ALSO, i would like for the composite to contain only Goes 8 data to the east
>of a given Longitude and Goes 10 to the west. Is this possible

This is easily done.  What you have to do is:

1) create a remapped image that has the full areal coverage that you
   eventually want.  For sake of argument, let's suppose that this
   image will be 1024x1280 (LINxELE) in size.

2) create the portion of the final image in 1) that is to receive the
   GOES-8 image values.  Again, for sake of argument, let's suppose
   that this would be the eastern half of the image created in 1)

   You would create this piece of the remap using IMGCOPY:

   IMGCOPY A/A.4001 A/A.4002 LINELE=0 640 SIZE=1024 640 SSIZE=ALL

3) at this point, you have all that you need.  Note that you will be
   keeping the right hand side image piece around since you will probably
   be making composites on a regular basis.

   The procedure for creating the composite is now almost the same as
   what you have above:

IMGREMAP WESTL/CONUS A/A.4000 LAT=38 96 BAND=4 RES=10 PRO=RECT TIME=13:30
DAY=2001305
IMGCOPY A/A.4002 A/A.4003 SIZE=ALL
IMGREMAP EASTL/CONUS A/A.4003 SSIZE=ALL BAND=4 TIME=13:32 DAY=2001305
IMGOPER A/A.4000 A/A.4003 A/A.4004 SCALE=0 255 0 255 SIZE=ALL FORM=CMAX
ZERO=DATA
IMGDISP A/A.4004

Since I am at home (now with a slow dialup connection :-(), I havn't
exercised the above commands, so there may be a tweek or twn needed.
The idea, however, remains the same:  create a sector that contains the
the exact coverage for the eastern portion of the final image and
use it for your GOES-East remaps.  Still remap GOES-West into the
full coverage and then combine the images using the CMAX option.

If you find that some GOES-West pixels are getting into the final remap,
you could blank out the Eastern portion of the full remap before
combining it with the Eastern sector.  This way you would be assured
that only GOES-West pixels are included on the left hand side and
only GOES-East pixels are included on the right hand side.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Tom