20011022: Combining Images

Hello,

I'm trying to find a way to use mcidas to combine 2 or more satellite
images from different satellites and display them on the same frame.
I used IMGREMAP with MERGE=YES but it just seems to overlap one image on
the frame with the other.  I wanted something that would use the best
(lowest) satellite viewing angle when deciding which part of the 2+
images are displayed.

Doug S - NASA-Langley
- --
SPANGENBERG, DOUGLAS A   address@hidden

One Enterprise Parkway   ANALYTICAL SERVICES & MATERIALS, INC.
Suite 300                Assigned to Radiation and Aerosols Branch
Hampton, VA 23666        of NASA-Langley Research Center
Phone: 757 827-4647
  Fax: 757 825-8659

>From: Russ Dengel <address@hidden>
>Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 13:34:35 -0500
>To: Douglas Spangenberg <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: [mdf] Combining Images

Doug,

I just talked to Dave Santek about this. Dave may have a source for
an application which does this. He was just headed to a class so he won't
be able to get back to you for a while.

Russ

>From: Rick Kohrs <address@hidden>
>Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 13:37:22 -0500
>To: Douglas Spangenberg <address@hidden>
>CC: McIDAS Developers Forum <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: [mdf] Combining Images

Douglas,

A quick method (not using satellite viewing angles) is to use IMGOPER.
Use IMGREMAP to generate 2 or more satellite images that have the same
projection.  Now use IMGOPER image1 image2 image..n destination_image
FORM=CMIN ZERO=DATA SIZE=ALL Another possibility is:  IMGOPER image1
image2 image..n destination_image FORM=CMAX ZERO=DATA SIZE=ALL

Dealing with satellite view angles is much more complicated.  There is
a routine in McIDAS-XRD version 7.8 called cldtopo.pgm.  This program
contains a lot of the code to determine the sun location based on a
given lat/lon.  If you could input the lat/lon subpoint of the
satellites (or possibly get it from the navigation routines) you might
be able to do some quick geometry to get exactly what you want.

Rick Kohrs

>From: Dave Santek <address@hidden>
>Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 14:39:00 -0500
>To: Rick Kohrs <address@hidden>
>CC: Douglas Spangenberg <address@hidden>,
>   McIDAS Developers Forum <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: [mdf] Combining Images

I'm getting some code from Fred Mosher that I'll either put in XRD or MDF
that I think does some of what you want.

dave

>From: Russ Dengel <address@hidden>
>Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 15:32:38 -0500
>Subject: Re: [mdf] Combining Images

All,

I just moved Ricks CLDTOPO program into the MDF. I will take a shot at
making this application ADDE active tonight.

Russ