20011022: SFCCON now requires PRO=CONF

>From: "Paul L. Sirvatka" <address@hidden>

Paul,

>Well...I have installed the update...now the sfccon commands do not work
>unless one uses a PRO=CONF keyword in them.

Do not work, or do not produce the plot you think was supposed to be
produced?

The default projection set in MAP.CORE is to do all maps in MERCator
projection.  At one point, I had changed the default to be CONFormal,
but I changed it back in an addendum (several problems came up from
having the projection default to CONF).  The default projection
specified in MAP.CORE will stay MERCator.

If you were using the version of MAP.CORE that had my CONFormal
default, you would now see the change you are referring to: having to
specify the PRO=CONF keyword on your SFCCON commands.

You can change this, however.  Here's how:

o if you don't already have one, create a file called MAP.USER in
  your McIDAS working directory (~/mcidas/data)

o edit MAP.USER and add the defaults section from MAP.CORE to the top:

<section from MAP.CORE>

GLOBAL  PROJECTION=    MERC \
        MCOLOR=        1\
        WIDTH=         X\
        DOMAIN=        NO

<change to the following in MAP.USER>

GLOBAL  PROJECTION=    CONF \
        MCOLOR=        1\
        WIDTH=         X\
        DOMAIN=        NO

Since you already have ~/mcidas/data/MAP.USER (in which you are
defining the mnemonic SURFACEMAP) all you have to do is add the
definitions section to the top of the file.  After making the change,
the default projection will be CONFormal.

>I am thinking this i snot what is was supposed to be but maybe I just have
>to change everything. Unless you know what is going on.

>example:
>SFCCON T USA LATEST
>only works if is use
>SFCCON T USA LATEST PRO=CONF

After altering your MAP.USER file, the output from 'SFCCON T USA LATEST'
will be identical to 'SFCCON T USA LATEST PRO=CONF'

Tom