20010824: Unidata McIDAS-X 7.80 build/install at NIU (cont.)

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

re: 7.80 install finished and working
>Many thanks for your help and support---I greatly appreciate it! Thank you
>again, and take care!

I changed the hosts.allow file to ALL for McIDAS ADDE services.  I did
this so I can run tests related to serving of sounding data from my
ADSL connection at home.

So far, every sounding that I have plotted has been AOK.  This is a
completely different result than the tests I ran for the previous
kernel you had installed, so I am hopeful that your kernel upgrade has
done some good.  I am not yet convinced that this is the case since the
problem is sporadic enough to allow for "runs" of good serving followed
by "runs" of failures.  Can you give me specifics about the kernel and
other upgrades you have made on weather?

I would like to keep the ADDE services open so I can really exercise
the sounding serving over an extended period of time.  Also, I would
like to convince you to "volunteer" to become an additional
collaborating ADDE server for the community :-).  You may have noticed
that I asked for volunteers in my 7.80 announcement.

Tom

>From address@hidden Sat Aug 25 09:50:30 2001
>Subject: Re: 20010824: Unidata McIDAS-X 7.80 build/install at NIU (cont.)

Tom,

>Can you give me specifics about the kernel and
>other upgrades you have made on weather?

2.4.3-12smp is the latest Redhat kernel. All patches have been applied, as
shown here:

http://www.redhat.com/errata/

Look under all 7.1 errata.

re: join the set of collaborating ADDE servers

Um, I thought I was? Yes! I don't have GINI stuff, but I do have NOAAPORT
backups to try to keep data going no matter what!

>From address@hidden Sat Aug 25 09:20:20 2001
>Subject: 20010825: Unidata McIDAS-X 7.80 build/install at NIU (cont.)

Gilbert,

>re: sounding serving under new Linux kernel

Well, the problem is still there.  The run of non-failures ended as
abruptly as it started.  Sigh...

Tom

>From address@hidden Sat Aug 25 09:47:57 2001
Subject: Re: 20010825: Unidata McIDAS-X 7.80 build/install at NIU (cont.)

I wonder if it is that memory failure problem they're trying to work out
of 2.4.8? Machines with high loads that use much or all available memory
like mine succumb to this bug. We'll see...

Gilbert

>From address@hidden Sat Aug 25 11:38:31 2001
>Subject: 20010825: Unidata McIDAS-X 7.80 build/install at NIU (cont.)

Gilbert,

re: joining the set of collaborating ADDE servers

>Um, I thought I was? Yes!

Excellent.  I will add weather.admin.niu.edu to the list.  It will show
up in users MCGUI server selector widgets with the next Addendum.

>I don't have GINI stuff, but I do have NOAAPORT
>backups to try to keep data going no matter what!

From what I can tell, you can offer:

CIMSS
RTIMAGES
RTNEXRAD
RTPTSRC
RTWXTEXT

If you turned on GRID decoding, you would also have RTGRIDS.

Tom