20010822: Unidata McIDAS-X 7.80 available for download

>From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>

Robert,

>I got McIDAS-7.8 from the ftp server.  When I try to get it through the
>web page I get the following error:
>
>The requested URL /software/error.phtml was not found on this server.
>
>I am registered as Robert Mullenax--Universal Weather and again under
>Robert Mullenax-NSBF with different username/passwords.  Is this
>why I get kicked out?

Here is the story.  Unidata McIDAS has a restriction that limits access
to .edu users.  We are developing an "exceptions file" approach that
will allow for case-by-case permission for non .edu sites (this is
needed for foreign universities and .gov, .mil, and .com sites that are
registered users of SSEC's distribution).  Since this exception file is
not yet in place (Scott is working as fast as he can), you were not
allowed access.  The weird message was caused by the lack of the page
that would explain why you were not being given access.

I will be sending Scott a list of site names and contacts so he can
build up the exception file contents.  After this is in place, you
- Universal Weather - should not see the problem again.

Sorry for the hassle...

Tom