20010625: McIDAS: stty problem with mcenv (cont.)

>From: Christian Page <address@hidden>

Christian,

re: This should't matter.  C shell scripts will source environment definition
files (unless told not to); Bourne shell scripts shouldn't.

>Ok, so that is not a potential problem.

Yes, or, at least, I thought it wouldn't be.  Do you have any stty control
statements in your .login file?  How about your .profile file?  A quick
test could be made to make sure that these are not being read: comment
out the stty controls in those files and retry your mcrun.sh invocation.

>So, I can still not figure out why it doesn't work. If I run manually mcenv,
>no error. It is only when invoked from mcrun.sh that I get the
>stty: : Inappropriate I/O control operation error.

I understand.

>I am running on IRIX 6.5.5m on a IRIX64 io 6.5 07151432 IP27 machine:
>4 180 MHZ IP27 Processors
>CPU: MIPS R10000 Processor Chip Revision: 2.7
>FPU: MIPS R10010 Floating Point Chip Revision: 0.0
>
>Any other idea?

Nothing other than try commenting out stty stuff from shell definition files
like .profile and .login to see if the problem goes away.

>Which stty-related commands are run through mcenv?

None that I know of.

Tom

>From address@hidden Fri Jun 29 07:42:41 2001
>Subject: Re: 20010625: McIDAS: stty problem with mcenv : solved!

Hi,

I finally found why I was getting an stty: : Inappropriate I/O control operation
error.

It is because my login shell was tcsh. If, in mcrun.sh, I specify :
SHELL=/bin/sh
export SHELL

it works then when invoking mcenv. It was the invocation of mcenv that was
giving the error. It seems that mcenv is using the SHELL variable somewhat.
Maybe it would be a good idea to put
SHELL=/bin/sh
export SHELL

in the future mcrun.sh versions.