20010524: decoding model output data in McIDAS

>From: "Wayne Bresky" <address@hidden>

Wayne,

>Can you tell me if there is a McIDAS decoder for the GRIB data that
>comes across on the HDS feed.

Yes.  It is part of the McIDAS-XCD portion of the Unidata McIDAS-X
distribution.  Information on building, installing, and configuring
McIDAS-XCD is available in the McIDAS-X online pages under:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/770/index.html

Start with the Install option in the top frame and look for:

Building, Installing, and Configuring McIDAS-XCD
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/770/mcx/mcidas-xcd.html

>I know one exists for GEMPAK (which we
>have installed), but I haven't seen anything for McIDAS.

Again, the set of decoders in McIDAS-X is the XCD set of routines.

>According to
>the web page there used to be one (gunrv2) but not any more?

gunrv2 is an ldm-mcidas routine that was used for decoding gridded data
that was distributed in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream.  It became
archaic as soon as folks could decode their own data received by
NOAAPORT broadcast/or the Unidata IDD.

>I'm a
>little confused.  Should I only be looking at the forecast data with
>GEMPAK?

Not unless you want to.  McIDAS-XCD decodes the full complement of data
accessible in the NOAAPORT streams just as the several decoders packaged
with XCD.

Please let me know if you run into any snags.

Tom