20010402: building a new CIRCLE

>From: "Alliss, Randall J." <address@hidden>

Randy,

Previously, you wrote:

>russ,
>
>yes we use mccomp. I will try that. Am i suppose to compile as user mcidas
>or another user?
>when we compiled unidata mcidas the CIRCLE command was in CORE.

I include CIRCLE as a standard part of the Unidata McIDAS distribution.

>Perhaps i will email Tom Yoksas to make sure i dont break anything.

>Tom,
>
>Russ has sent me a new copy of his CIRCLE code which i want to compile on my
>alpha. The question is how to do this without messing up anything else,
>including the existing CIRCLE executable.

If you do not want to lose the current version of CIRCLE (circle.k), then
you need to save it off before building a new version.  The absolute
easiest way to do this is for sites running the Unidata distribution of
McIDAS is:

<login as 'mcidas'>

<save off the old CIRCLE executable and help files>

cd ~/bin
mv circle.k circleold.k
cd ~/help
mv circle.hlp circleold.hlp

<save off the old CIRCLE source>

cd ~/mcidas7.7/src
mv circle.pgm circle.pgm.old

<build the new CIRCLE executable>

<copy the new circle.pgm source to ~/mcidas7.7/src
make circle.k circle.hlp
ln circle.k ~/bin
ln circle.hlp ~/help

>I am enclosing his new CIRCLE code.