20010223: error running tclsh built on Linux with post Tcl/Tk installed

>From:  McIDAS Help Desk <address@hidden>

Becky,

>Are you running RedHat Linux 7.0 on any of your machines?

Yes, one.  We run a mixture of RedHat 6.2 and 7.0.  My sites run a
variety of Linux: RedHat 5.2, 6.x, 7.0; Debian, Slackware, and I think
SuSe.

>We're running
>6.2, but I've never seen an error like this.  Do you have any idea what
>might be causing it?

The problem occurs when the OS has a version of Tcl/Tk installed that
is newer than 8.0.x.

To get around the problem, I made a change to the Tcl/Tk configure (and
configure.in) files to force use of the copy of Tcl/Tk built by McIDAS
instead of the one that is installed in system libraries.  Here are the
comments from my change log:

tcl/unix/configure     Scriptics 8.0 version with mod for Linux
tcl/unix/configure.in
                         changed:
                           LD_FLAGS="-rdynamic"
                         to:
                           LD_FLAGS='-rdynamic -Wl,-rpath,${LIB_RUNTIME_DIR}'

                         for Linux section.  This "burns" in the
                         McINST_ROOT/tcl/lib into the tclsh and wish
                         executables.

A quick read of what Rob F. sent along smacks of the problem that I ran
into, so I think that he would benefit from the change I made.

>Thanks!

No problem :-)