20010220: NEXRAD Level III data display in McIDAS-X

>From: alan anderson <address@hidden>

Alan,

>I have a student who will be looking at some nexrad data he is
>obtaining from NCDC for a senior project.  He is obtaining the
>level 3 data to obtain storm total precip.  I am not sure of
>the format this will have as sent from NCDC, but the question I
>have is
>
>   Can he look at the data using MCIDASX ?

Yes, this should work.  What he (or you) will have to do is setup an
ADDE dataset for the data.  Since he may want to access the data from
more than one machine, I suggest that it is probably better to setup
the dataset on your machine that is running the remote ADDE server.
This is probably the machine on which the LDM and McIDAS-XCD decoders
are running (I think that this is waldo).  I can walk you through
the setup if you like.

>Since current radar data is now available via IDD and MCIDAS
>allows us to look at it, can we display archived data as
>described above?

Yes.

>Perhaps I need to provide more info., but
>at this time, all I know is that he is requesting  level 3 data
>from NCDC.

I helped another site (Johnson Space Center) do this exact same thing.
The procedure is pretty easy, so it won't take a lot of time to
get working.  Please let me know if you need help.

Tom