20010219: setting environment variables with C shell

>From: Dave Santek <address@hidden>

Randy,

Dave said:

>In csh it would be:
>
>    set MCIDASRC mcidasdec
>
>(no '=' in there).

Actually, in the C shell if you use 'set', you do want the '='.  If
you use 'setenv', you do not want the '='.  The following two lines
both set MCIDASRC:

setenv MCIDASRC mcidasdec
set MCIDASRC=mcidasdec

Also, I just wanted to add that I did not change anything in the low
level code for mcimage dealings with X visuals.  The changes I made
for DEC support were typically in user applications.

>"Alliss, Randall J." wrote:
>
>> Dave,
>>
>> i spoke too soon. it still does not work.
>>
>> i have copied the .mcidasrc file to mcidasdec. I have added the line
>> -displayVisualMode to the
>> mcidasdec file. Since i am running csh i type on the command line, set
>> MCIDASRC=mcidasdec.
>
>In csh it would be:
>
>    set MCIDASRC mcidasdec
>
>(no '=' in there).
>

>> I also edit the mcidasdec file and change the -f 62 line to -f 15 to prove
>> that i am really reading the mcidasdec file.
>>
>> The result is that i still get 62 frames at startup and still have the
>> graphics problem. I believe that i am not accessing the mcidasdec file
>> still.
>>
>> Question: what is the -displayVisualMode suppose to do?
>>

>Rather than forcing McIDAS to use an 8-bit pseudocolor visual, it will
>use the default X Windows visual.
>
>McIDAS is usually much happier using the 8-bit visual.

Tom

>From address@hidden Mon Feb 19 08:38:09 2001

Thanx for setting me straight....I'm not much of a csh user....

> setenv MCIDASRC mcidasdec
> set MCIDASRC=mcidasdec

Hmmmm....I don't understand why mcidas didn't pickup the environmental
settting? It is picked up in the first few lines of the mcidas script.

dave

>From address@hidden Mon Feb 19 08:39:07 2001
>Subject: RE: 20010219: setting environment variables with C shell

All,

ok... i have it working now. That command made all the difference. I no
longer have the wierd colors on my alphas. Now, can someone tell me what the
-displayVisualMode actually does?

Tom, i also nolonger have the red screen in mcimage upon mcidas startup.

thanks for the help.

Randy

>From address@hidden Mon Feb 19 08:46:16 2001
>Subject: Re: 20010219: setting environment variables with C shell

"Alliss, Randall J." wrote:

I tried to earlier.....it has to do with X Window visuals. If  you run
the 'xdpyinfo' command, it will tell you what visuals are
available....8-bit pseudocolor, 24-bit True color, etc.

McIDAS is designed to run in the 8-bit pseudocolor. For some reason,
that 2D graphics card does not want to run McIDAS in that mode.....so
it is better to use the default visual (which the -displayVisualMode
does).

We found in almost all cases using the 8-bit pseudocolor mode is the
best way, but we included the -displayVisualMode flag in case there is
a problem (like what you're having).

dave