20010131: Question on Maps

>From: "Paul L. Sirvatka" <address@hidden>

Paul,

>Well the process to convert to 7.7 commands continues, but I have found a
>problem.
>
>I cannot use DEF as a map for RAOBCON. I have used in SFCPLT with OUT=CON,
>but it does not work in RAOPLOT.
>
>Any insight on this? or is it a fix in 7.7

There is an easier way to do this in 7.7.  The MAP command was rewritten
to use a set of context files in which one can define customized maps
and give them names.  The set of context files are named:

MAP.USER
MAP.SITE
MAP.CORE

Each user can create his/her own specialized context file, MAP.USER, and
store it in his/her McIDAS working directory (~user/mcidas/data).  The
really nice thing about this approach is you can create a map definition
once; save it in a file; and then have any of the McIDAS commands use
the map definition by reference to the name you gave the definition.

Here are a couple of quick examples from the additions I made to the SSEC
MAP.CORE file (installed in ~mcidas/data):

1) USA map in Lambert CONFormal projection:

USACONF OUTLINEFILE=  OUTLUSAM \
      LAMB_CONF_SC= 'LAT=20.83 49.88 LON=78 137.97 SLON=105' \
      PROJECTION=   CONF

2) Alaska map in both MERCator and Lambert CONFormal projections:

ALASKA  OUTLINEFILE=  OUTLUSAM \
      MERCATOR=     'LAT=49 71 LON=133 180' \
      LAMB_CONF_SC= 'LAT=49 71 LON=133 180 SLON=160'

3) Map of the North East US with both MERCator and Lambert CONFormal
projections:

NEUS    OUTLINEFILE=  OUTLUSAM \
      MERCATOR=     'LAT=36 50 LON=65 98' \
      LAMB_CONF_SC= 'LAT=34 51 LON=72 102 SLON=91'

One can then use these definitions very easily once they are made:

MAP USACONF
SFCPLOT T ALASKA 12 PRP=CONF
RAOBCON Z 500 NEUS PRO=CONF

So, what you should do is:

o peruse ~mcidas/data/MAP.CORE to see how one goes about setting up the
  context file

o create a MAP.USER with the map definitions you want in your ~user/mcidas/data
  directory

  or if the objective is for all McIDAS users on your system to be able
     use the new map definitions:

  create a MAP.SITE with the map definitions you want in your ~mcidas/data
  directory.  Each user will have access and automatically use this file
  by virtue of ~mcidas/data being defined in their MCPATH.

Please let me know if you run into any problems implementing a COD-specific
set of map definitions.

Tom