20010119: McIDAS-X build problems (cont.)

>From: "Eddy" <address@hidden>

Eddy,

>everything is cool xinetd is ready to roll but when try to run
>./mcinet7.7.sh
>it gave me this message:
>
>" To configure inetd to allow remote access to the server account's
>  files, run the command
>
>        sh ./mcinet7.7.sh install server-account-name
>
>To undo this, run the command
>
>        sh ./mcinet7.7.sh uninstall server-account-name "

The mcinet7.7.sh was designed to work with systems that are running
inetd.  RedHat 7.0 Linux no longer runs inetd.  The procedures listed
in the Notes and Warnings online document:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/770/mcx/warnings_mcx.html

describe what you have to do on RedHat 7.0 Linux to get the remote
server setup.

>ok my server is cirrus and the account is mcidas
>do I put
>
>        sh ./mcinet7.7.sh install cirrus-mcidas

The syntax on a system that is running inetd would be:

sh ./mcinet7.7.sh install mcadde

You would have to create the 'mcadde' account before doing this
(so there would be an entry in /etc/passwd).  Please review the
instructions for the creation of the 'mcadde' account in the
online doucmentation:

Preparing the mcidas and mcadde Accounts
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/770/mcx/mcxacct.html

Tom