20010116: McIDAS-X and the EU command

>From: David Ovens <address@hidden>

David,

Sorry I couldn't get to this before now, but I was at the AMS conference
in Albuquerque, NM until this evening.

>Help!  We are running the recent McIdas-X 7.7 and I am trying to come
>up with a new enhancement table for some visible images.  I have done
>this in the past, albeit about 3 years ago, and it seems like I should
>still be able to do it using the EU command.

Yes, you should.  Nothing has changed in EU for quite some time.

>However, this command is
>behaving EXTREMELY erratically.  I have included the exact output from
>two complete McIDAS-X sessions in the exact order in which they
>occurred.  Basically, I was trying to copy the SST.ET enhancement
>table to JUNK.ET, but somehow I got the SVGAIR.ET enhancement table in
>the first session and basically nothing in the second and third
>sessions.  I can also use EU MAKE to alter the enhancement, but EU
>SAVE is NEVER working with this.  Note, that the succession of EU MAKE
>commands no longer seems to be cumulative, either.
>
>Please help.
>
>Session 1:
>DF 7777 1
>BEGIN TV LOAD PROCESSING FOR FRAME  1
>Processing completed for frame= 1
>EU TABLE
> Brightness  Blue      Green      Red
>  min max   min max   min max   min max
>  --- ---   --- ---   --- ---   --- ---
>    0 255     0 255     0 255     0 255
>EU: Done
>EU SAVE JUNK
>EU: Enhancement saved in file JUNK.ET
>EU: Done
>EU TABLE JUNK
> Brightness  Blue      Green      Red
>  min max   min max   min max   min max
>  --- ---   --- ---   --- ---   --- ---
>    0 255     0 255     0 255     0 255
>EU: Done

OK.  A couple of things here.  The first relates to the use of DF, a
command that is being sunset (discontinued).  As you get time, you should
switch to use of the ADDE IMGDISP command.  DF will be removed from
Unidata McIDAS-X this coming summer (it was removed from SSEC's distribution
about two years ago).

Second, it does appear like the EU SAVE worked, but your notes above bring
this into question.  I suggest that you check the existence of the file
in two, equivalent ways:

EU LIST JUNK

DMAP JUNK.ET

If both of these don't show that JUNK exists, then your problem is related
to the ability to write the EU output to disk.  This would be most likely
caused by a file permission problem.

>EU TABLE SST
> Brightness  Blue      Green      Red
>  min max   min max   min max   min max
>  --- ---   --- ---   --- ---   --- ---
>    0   4   180 180   215 215   180 180
>    5 104    10 255    10 255    10 255
>  105 146   255 255   255   0   255   0
>  147 190   224   0    31 255    31 255
>  191 216     0   0   255   0   255 255
>  217 255     0   0     0   0   255   0
>EU: Done
>EU REST SST
>EU: Restoring SST.ET       to frame(s)=   1
>EU: Done

Does the display change?

>EU TABLE
> Brightness  Blue      Green      Red
>  min max   min max   min max   min max
>  --- ---   --- ---   --- ---   --- ---
>    0 255     0 255     0 255     0 255
>EU: Done

Hmm...  This shows that the EU REST actually failed.

>EU TABLE SST
> Brightness  Blue      Green      Red
>  min max   min max   min max   min max
>  --- ---   --- ---   --- ---   --- ---
>    0   4   180 180   215 215   180 180
>    5 104    10 255    10 255    10 255
>  105 146   255 255   255   0   255   0
>  147 190   224   0    31 255    31 255
>  191 216     0   0   255   0   255 255
>  217 255     0   0     0   0   255   0
>EU: Done
>EU SAVE JUNK
>EU: Enhancement saved in file JUNK.ET
>EU: Done

Given that an EU TABLE resulted in the black to white enhnacement (IMAGE.ET)
which is the default of every frame in McIDAS, the EU SAVE at this point should
only result in the IMAGE.ET enhancement being saved in JUNK (if the file can
be written).

>EU REST JUNK
>EU: Restoring JUNK.ET      to frame(s)=   1
>EU: Done

Does the display change?

>EU REST
>EU: Restoring default enhancement to frame(s)=   1
>EU: Done

For reference, this is the equivalent of an EU REST IMAGE.

>EU REST SST
>EU: Restoring SST.ET       to frame(s)=   1
>EU: Done

Again, if the display doesn't change, then no manipulations with EU will
matter.  We would have to determine why the enhancement is not changing.
I have more on this down below.

>EU SAVE JUNK
>EU: Enhancement saved in file JUNK.ET
>EU: Done
>EU REST JUNK
> EU REST JUNK
>EU: Restoring JUNK.ET      to frame(s)=   1
>EU: Done
>EU TABLE JUNK
> Brightness  Blue      Green      Red
>  min max   min max   min max   min max
>  --- ---   --- ---   --- ---   --- ---
>    0   2     4   5     4   5     4   5
>    3   5     7  11     7  11     7  11
>    6 173    11 255    11 255    11 255
>  174 181     0   0   255 100   255 100
>  182 189     0   0     0   0   100 255
>  190 197   255 100     0   0   255 100
>  198 205   100 255   100 255     0   0
>  206 213     0   0   255 100     0   0
>  214 221   100 255   100 255   100 255
>  222 229   255 100     0   0     0   0
>  230 246   240 240   240 240   240 240
>  247 255     0   0     0   0     0   0
>EU: Done
>EU TABLE SVGAIR
> Brightness  Blue      Green      Red
>  min max   min max   min max   min max
>  --- ---   --- ---   --- ---   --- ---
>    0   2     4   5     4   5     4   5
>    3   5     7  11     7  11     7  11
>    6 173    11 255    11 255    11 255
>  174 181     0   0   255 100   255 100
>  182 189     0   0     0   0   100 255
>  190 197   255 100     0   0   255 100
>  198 205   100 255   100 255     0   0
>  206 213     0   0   255 100     0   0
>  214 221   100 255   100 255   100 255
>  222 229   255 100     0   0     0   0
>  230 246   240 240   240 240   240 240
>  247 255     0   0     0   0     0   0
>EU: Done

At this point, I am entirely suspicious that you are suffering from
a condition where one or more of the files that should only be located
in a ~/.mctmp subdirectory being located in some other directory that
is not writable.  This is a strange, but known condition in McIDAS that
has to be corrected before you can get results that make any sense.
So, I recommend that you:

o EXIT your McIDAS session
o make sure that you are in your account's McIDAS working directory
  (~user/mcidas/data for a user named 'user'; ~mcidas/workdata for
  the user named 'mcidas')
o run:

dmap.k Frame
dmap.k FRAMENH
dmap.k TERMCHAR

If any of these DMAP invocations locate files that are _not_ in a
subdirectory of ~/.mctmp, then you need to delete those files.  For
example, if the second DMAP invocation locates a TERMCHAR.001 in the
McIDAS working directory, it means that there was an abnormal
termination of McIDAS at some point in the past.

If any of these DMAP invocations locates a file or set of files in a
~mcidas directory like ~mcidas/help, ~mcidas/data, etc., then it means
that the user 'mcidas' had a McIDAS-X abnormal termination in the past
that was not properly cleaned up.  If you are not running as the
'mcidas' user, this would explain why you would be unable to change
your enhancements.  In this case, you would have to login as 'mcidas'
and remove those files that were found by any/all of the DMAP commands
run from your session.

The next session attempts by you would not help if the problem is the
existence of one or more of the files that I allued to above.

>Session 2:
>DF 7777 1
>BEGIN TV LOAD PROCESSING FOR FRAME  1
>Processing completed for frame= 1
>EU REST SST
>EU: Restoring SST.ET       to frame(s)=   1
>EU: Done
>EU SAVE JUNK
>EU: Enhancement saved in file JUNK.ET
>EU: Done
>EU TABLE JUNK
> Brightness  Blue      Green      Red
>  min max   min max   min max   min max
>  --- ---   --- ---   --- ---   --- ---
>    0 255     0 255     0 255     0 255
>EU: Done
>
>Session 3, showing that I cannot remake the SST.ET enhancement table
>using EU MAKE commands (this used to work):
>DF 7777 1
>BEGIN TV LOAD PROCESSING FOR FRAME  1
>Processing completed for frame= 1
>EU TABLE
> Brightness  Blue      Green      Red
>  min max   min max   min max   min max
>  --- ---   --- ---   --- ---   --- ---
>    0 255     0 255     0 255     0 255
>EU: Done
>EU TABLE SST
> Brightness  Blue      Green      Red
>  min max   min max   min max   min max
>  --- ---   --- ---   --- ---   --- ---
>    0   4   180 180   215 215   180 180
>    5 104    10 255    10 255    10 255
>  105 146   255 255   255   0   255   0
>  147 190   224   0    31 255    31 255
>  191 216     0   0   255   0   255 255
>  217 255     0   0     0   0   255   0
>EU: Done
>EU MAKE   0   4 180 180 215 215 180 180 1 1
>EU: Enhancement applied to frame(s)=   1
>EU: Done
>EU MAKE   5 104  10 255  10 255  10 255 1 1
>EU: Enhancement applied to frame(s)=   1
>EU: Done
>EU MAKE 105 146 255 255 255   0 255   0 1 1
>EU: Enhancement applied to frame(s)=   1
>EU: Done
>EU MAKE 147 190 224   0  31 255  31 255 1 1
>EU: Enhancement applied to frame(s)=   1
>EU: Done
>EU MAKE 191 216   0   0 255   0 255 255 1 1
>EU: Enhancement applied to frame(s)=   1
>EU: Done
>EU MAKE 217 255   0   0   0   0 255   0 1 1
>EU: Enhancement applied to frame(s)=   1
>EU: Done
>EU SAVE JUNK2
>EU: Enhancement saved in file JUNK2.ET
>EU: Done
>EU TABLE JUNK2
> Brightness  Blue      Green      Red
>  min max   min max   min max   min max
>  --- ---   --- ---   --- ---   --- ---
>    0 255     0 255     0 255     0 255
>EU: Done

>From address@hidden Tue Jan 16 16:36:42 2001
>Subject: Re: McIDAS-X and the EU command

>Well, I think this must be an environment variable or permission
>problem, because I have been able to find a user on our system for
>which none of these problems exist.

OK.  This may still point to the problem that I outlined above.
I don't think that it is an environment variable problem, however.
The other possibility that comes to mind is that the file that you
were trying to create (e.g., JUNK) already exists in a directory
in your MCPATH set of directories in your McIDAS-X session, and you
don't have write permission to that file.  This can be checked with

DMAP JUNK

or equivalently from the Unix prompt:

cd ~/mcidas/data
dmap.k JUNK

>I still haven't figured out which permission or environment variable
>is causing this, however.  So, any help you can offer there would be
>great.

Please run the DMAP invocations I listed above and let me know the results.

Tom Yoksas