20010112: McIDAS 7.7 Upgrade Problem (cont.)

>From: Michael Keables <address@hidden>

Mike,

>Still having problems configuring my mkeables user account.  I've tried the
>redirect.k as you suggested:
>
>redirect.k ADD LWPATH.NAM \".
>
>and get:
>
>redirect.k: Write failed -- STATUS= 13
>redirect.k: Unable to write to /export/home/mkeables/mcidas/data/LWPATH.NAM
>redirect.k: Entry  ""  was not added
>
>I'm figured I'm having permission problems (although
>/export/home/mcidas/data is group writeable),

The error was in writing to LWPATH.NAM in that directory.  Can you write
to that file from your Unix shell?

>so I figured I would just
>re-configure my user account.  I downloaded user_env.csh, substituted it for
>my .cshrc file and modified it such that MCHOME is /export/home/mcidas.
>Logged off and logged back on to activate .cshrc. Checked the necessary
>lines in .Xdefaults and the edited the system desktop files to activate the
>Alt-F6 key. Copied UNIMENU.DEF to the appropriate directory.

OK.

>Now, when it comes time to redirect the data files:
>
>REDIRECT REST LOCAL.NAM
>REDIRECT: Unable to write to ./LWPATH.NAM
>REDIRECT: Redirect entries not restored from file
>/export/home/mcidas/data/LOCAL.NAM

Same problem.  I suspect that if LWPATH.NAM exists in your mcidas/data
directory, it either has the incorrect read/write permissions or it
is owned by another user.

>I even tried to copy LWPATH.NAM from /export/home/mcidas/workdata to
>~mkeables/mcidas/data but get a write permission error as well. Here is the
>directory listing for mcidas-related files and their corresponding
>permissions: (note: user 'mkeables' is assigned to primary group 'staff' and
>secondary group 'ldmgroup'.)
>
>/export/home
>drwxrwxr-x  20 mcidas   ldmgroup    1024 Jan 12 10:08 mcidas
>drwxr-xr-x  15 mkeables staff       1536 Jan 12 11:04 mkeables
>
>/export/home/mkeables
>drwxrwxr-x   3 mkeables staff        512 Jan 12 11:05 mcidas
>
>/export/home/mkeables/mcidas
>drwxrwxr-x   2 mkeables staff       2560 Jan 10 13:02 data
>
>It's probably staring me in the face, here, but I just don't see it.

The last step would have been to do a long list in /export/home/mkeables/mcidas.
This would have told us if LWPATH.NAM exists and what its ownership and
read/write permissions are.

>Suggestions?

See above.

Tom