20010105: error while building McIDAS-X 7.701 on OSF/1 (cont. )

>From: "Alliss, Randall J." <address@hidden>

Randy,

>to be complete, uname -a = OSF1 nimbus V4.0 1229 alpha

Ah, much better (the OSF1 indication from a previous message didn't tell
me anything :().

>am recompiling now with a <make mcx>

OK.

>From address@hidden Fri Jan  5 14:20:42 2001

>it worked.

OK.  I just changed my web page (Notes and Warnings) to reflect the use
of cc instead of c89 on OSF/1.

>then i did a make install.mcxall and got the following:

>Returning to directory /usr/users/mcidas/mcidas7.7/netcdf
>Not making 'cxx/install' because no C++ compiler
>(null command)

No worries.  By setting CXX to nothing (setenv CXX), the C++ interface for
the netCDF is not built/installed.

>i can fire up mcidas and get mcidas7.701; should it say 7.704?

No.  The Unidata release version number is 7.701.  I do not try to keep
my release numbers in line with SSEC's.  7.701 is the reflects the
first addendum to my 7.70 release.  It contains all of the SSEC Fastrack
modifications to date and more.

Please keep me informed of your experiences of accessing the NOAAPORT
NEXRAD Level III products (aka NIDS) when they become generally available
on January 10 (last time indication from the NWS).

Also, please let me know if you need any pointers in setting up your
NIDS data holdings.  My _strong_ recommendation is that the data
be stored in a hierarchy with the station ID being one node in that
hierarchy.  For instance:

                           /data/nexrad/
         FTG/                  ARX/                   CYS/           ...
 N0R N1R N2R N0V ...      N0R N1R N2R N0V ...    N0R N1R N2R N0V ...
    -- files --             -- files --             -- files --

The main reason to have the station ID in a hierarchy node is to allow
fast listings of available stations:

IMGLIST NEXRAD/N0R ID=LIST

Tom

>From address@hidden Mon Jan  8 06:10:06 2001
>Subject: RE: 20010105: error while building McIDAS-X 7.701 on OSF/1 (cont.)

Tom,

i wont worry about the netcdf issue then.

As far as setting up the data holdings we are using what SSEC provided us (
we built their version of Mcidas-XCD) on our NOAAPort box; which looks to be
identical to how you are filing the data (per your email). I plan to use
this week to do some testing/monitoring and will bring any un answered
questions to AMS for discussion. Hopefully, we start getting some data by
the 10th.

thanks for all your help.

Randy