20010102: McIDAS ADDE access (cont.)

>From: address@hidden

Bill,

re: Windows and X windows
>We have a license for eXceed.  Just a gratuitous shot: "Oh boy, Windows
>and The X-Window System on the same machine!!!"  I would like to pass
>until I >have to< make the switch or until Mcidas goes native Windows.

OK.  BTW, there are no plans to do a native port of McIDAS to Windows.

re: continue the XCD discusion
>You're too easy.  And I've changed my mind.

:-)

>I stopped LDM.  Took his restart entries out of cron and rc.local.  Then
>I went and removed all the AREA files in /home/ldm/data/mcidasd
>(ldm-mcidas decoders write here).  I also got rid of the 300mb current
>XCD file for today just for fun.

Now _here_ is a man with a plan!

>Here is the only concrete comment I have on all your beautiful work
>sleuthing our system:
>
>We often had problems with disk filling up, then either the XCD decoders or
>some portion of ldm would go bonkers...and no matter how many files a person
>removed, we would still show 100% usage in the affected partition.  Only
>solution was to stop and start LDM...then we would regain the disk space.

I remember you reporting this before.  I had thought that it went away
since we didn't hear from you that it was still continuing.

>I believe this is an interaction between AIX and a file with an open
>file handle. At any rate, this happened at upredictable intervals...often
>on a weekend.  And then, mcidas sessions trying to create maps (cron)
>would get blown sky high because they couldn't write output.  Frankly, I
>thought the shared memory problems had gone away when we went to this
>release of AIX...guess not.

OK.  It is pretty easy to cleanup.

>I wish to be rid of LDM, ldm-mcidas, XCD, and my teenagers (OOPS, got on
>a roll there).

;-)

>You and I were apparently working at the same time, and a number of cron
>jobs would also have been initiated in this time frame...all as user
>mcidas.

Yes, I didn't notice this immediately.  Once I did, I figured that I
had munged your existing session.  That is why I recommended EXITing
your session and logging off and on again.

>No wonder things seemed flakey, and all of a suddent things
>started working!

I always like it when things start working.

>OK.  So you worked magic.

I wish I could work magic.  If I could, I would produce the GUI for
McIDAS that has been on a back burner for way too long.

>I have altered most of my BATCH scripts to use ADDE, and I'm pointing
>at your machine.

Excellent.  I started seeing you show up in my logs.

>And I'm extremely pleased at how easy it is to do the things I need done.

This sounded wonderful _until_ I read the next few lines...

>But here's a little problem I ran into:
>
>DATALOC LIST RTIMAGES
>
>Group Name Server IP Address
> --------------------
>RTIMAGES ADDE.UCAR.EDU

This is correct

>IMGLIST RTIMAGES/GEW-VIS
>
>Image file directory listing for:RTIMAGES/GEW-VIS
>
> Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
>
>     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
>
> --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
>
>   3  G-8 IMG        2 JAN 01002  22:15:00    26  100 1
>
>IMGLIST:
>done

Looks good.

>IMGLIST RTIMAGES/GE-VIS
>
>Image file directory listing for:RTIMAGES/GE-VIS
>
>IMGLIST: No images satisfy the selection criteria
>
>IMGLIST:
>done

OK, this has nothing with your setup.  It is a server side "thing".

>I ran the script you recommended the other day, so
>DATALOC
>
>Group Name                    Server IP Address
>--------------------         ----------------------------------------
>BLIZZARD                     ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>CIMSS                        CIRRUS.SMSU.EDU
>INFO                         ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>MYDATA                       <LOCAL-DATA>
>RTGINI                       ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>RTGRIDS                      ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>RTIMAGES                     ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>RTNIDS                       CIRRUS.SMSU.EDU
>RTNOWRAD                     CIRRUS.SMSU.EDU
>RTPTSRC                      ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>RTWXTEXT                     ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>TOPO                         CIRRUS.SMSU.EDU
>WSINIDS                     <LOCAL-DATA>
>
><LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data
>directory.

This is fine, but I recommend cleaning up your DATALOCs:

<from the McIDAS command line>
DATALOC DEL RTNIDS
DATALOC DEL RTNOWRAD
DATALOC DEL WSINIDS
DATALOC ADD CIMSS ADDE.UCAR.EDU
DATALOC ADD NEXRAD ADDE.UCAR.EDU

The frist three lines get rid of pointers to datasets that you will never
receive access to.  The last two lines are a change in pointing for
CIMSS data and a new pointer to the NOAAPORT NEXRAD data that will start
flowing on January 10.  I will be sending out information about the
NEXRAD dataset in an email to the mcidas-x email list in the coming
days, so stay tuned.

>So, hows come I can't get the GOES-E or W individual images...does it
>still want them off my machine?

The problem was a rearrangement of directories (that I was not aware of)
that was going on on the server.  I just updated the server routing
table (RESOLV.SRV) and gave a couple of IMGLISTs a whirl from your
machine.  The access to the images is now up:

cirrus:/home/mcidas/workdata> imglist.k RTIMAGES/GE-VIS
Image file directory listing for:RTIMAGES/GE-VIS
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
 228  G-8 IMG        3 JAN 01003  15:15:00    23   71 1
imglist.k: done
cirrus:/home/mcidas/workdata> imglist.k RTIMAGES/GW-IR
Image file directory listing for:RTIMAGES/GW-IR
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
 362  G-10 IMG       3 JAN 01003  15:00:00    24  137 4
imglist.k: done
cirrus:/home/mcidas/workdata> imglist.k RTIMAGES/GEW-IR
Image file directory listing for:RTIMAGES/GEW-IR
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
   4  G-8 IMG        3 JAN 01003  15:15:00    26  100 4
imglist.k: done

While you are at it, try out:

DSINFO I RTGINI
IMGDISP RTGINI/GE1KVIS STA=KSTL EU=IMAGE REFRESH='EG;MAP H' MAG=1
IMGDISP RTGINI/GE1KVIS STA=KSTL EU=IMAGE REFRESH='EG;MAP H' MAG=-2
IMGDISP RTGINI/GE1KVIS STA=KSTL EU=IMAGE REFRESH='EG;MAP H' MAG=-3

1 km resolution Visible (0.65 um) imagery from NOAAPORT!

Tom