20001129: McIDAS support of HIRS data

>From: Dave Dempsey <address@hidden>

Dave,

>I just got a question second-hand about whether MCIDAS can display HIRS
>data, which I'm told is generated by an instrument on one or more NOAA
>polar orbiting satellites and is also part of the new GOES sounding
>data. It has something to do with a "CO2 slicing algorithm" and can
>give info about cloud-top temperatures. (The questioner knows what he's
>talking about, even if I don't!)
>
>Can MCIDAS display these data, assuming they're in AREA file format?

This topic was perpherially touched on at the October MUG (McIDAS Users
Group) meeting in Madison.  The comment in a presentation that leads
me to believe that McIDAS can use the HIRS/3 data is:

  "Programs were written to convert the SAA (Satellite Active Archive)
   Level 1B format to McIDAS areas. These programs, which work only with
   the NOAA-15 and later AVHRR, HIRS/3, AMSU-A, and AMSU-B sensors, are
   not part of McIDAS-X or -XRD at this time.

   In the conversion process, brightness temperatures are stored instead
   of radiances. This was done so limb correction can be applied, which
   otherwise can not be done in the McIDAS calibration module."

As you can see, a definitive statement answering your direct question
is not made, but the indication is that McIDAS can handle HIRS data.

If you need a more definitive answer, I can send along an inquiry to
someone at SSEC would know.  Please let me know if you want me to do
this.

Tom

>From address@hidden Thu Nov 30 19:20:30 2000
>Subject: Re: 20001129: McIDAS support of HIRS data

Tom,

Thanks for the response, as always. I'll pass this on to the questioner
and see what he wants to do with it.

-- Dave