20001116: RedHat Linux used as an X-server (cont.)

>From:  Rick Kohrs <address@hidden>

Rick,

>Our site in Chico, CA is just about up and running.

Interesting.  What is the site?  The reason I ask is that Cal State,
Chico used to be a Unidata participant.  If they are not going to
SSEC directly, I'd like to know why.

>Right now they are
>exporting their display from an X86 box back to a red hat linux (6.0)
>workstation.

That is the same test I ran here at the UPC.

>When they run the gui, they can select display, but when
>they next select image the mcidas session locks up.

My test involved my MCGUI.  I didn't try the SSEC GUI.

>Two other pieces of
>information, I exported the display back here to the center (to a
>solaris x86) and had no problems, I was even using the same account that
>failed at Chico.  Our sysadmin thinks it might be a window manager quirk
>(their site is using KDE).

Hmm...  KDE is an interesting possibility.  I was in Gnome using the
Enlightenment window manager when I ran my test.

>Have you ever heard of this problem,  let me know.

No, I have never heard of this problem.  When I get a chance, I will
try to recreate the test that you outlined above.  The test will
not be really complete since we are running RedHat Linux 6.2 (and 7.0
on one machine), not 6.0.

>Thanks

Later...

Tom

>From address@hidden Thu Nov 16 13:35:53 2000
>Subject: Re: 20001116: RedHat Linux used as an X-server (cont.)

re: is the site in Chico, CA Cal State, Chico

>Nope, the site is Weathernews Inc.

re: KDE is something that I didn't test