20001113: IMGREMAP: MAG= vs RES= (cont.)

>From: Jason Allard <address@hidden>

Jason,

re: ln -s /fractal/s2/allard/goesdata/weakflow/1991/199105100001.goes7ir
/fractal/s2/allard/mcidas/weak/AREA0001

>Thanks.  I knew that, but forgot... thanks for reminding me.

No problem.

re: So, you to come up with a naming convention for the set of files that you
want to place in the /fractal/s2/allard/mcidas/weak directory.  For
the purpose of this discussion, let's assume that these files are
named AREA0001 - AREA0100.

>This makes sense.

>Okay, I'm getting this... I guess that I was trying to set up three
>REDIRECT commands... with each REDIRECT having AREAs 0001-9999.

You can't do this.  McIDAS does not know how to access a file that exists
in two different directories with each one having the same name.  So,
if you have a file named AREA0001 in one directory and tell McIDAS what
that directory is through a REDIRECTion, it will not be able to see the
AREA0001 that exitsts in a different directory.

>Given
>that each AREA number must be unique, I figured I could do what I
>wanted with three different redirects.  So, while I understand what
>you've written out, I'm wondering if I can do what I just mentioned.
>
>First, in the command:
>
>REDIRECT ADD AREA000* "/fractal/s2/allard/mcidas/weak
>
>does the AREA000* in the command have to have the AREA word.

Yes.  that parameter on the command line (the regular expression AREA000*)
is the name (or regular expression for the name) of a file.

>Could it be:
>
>REDIRECT ADD WEAK* "/fractal/s2/allard/mcidas/weak

No.  With this command, you would be telling McIDAS to look for files
whose names begin with WEAK in the directory /fractal/s2/allard/mcidas/weak.
What you are really after is telling McIDAS to look for files whose
names begin with AREA000 in the /fractal/s2/allard/mcidas/weak directory.

>If you don't have to use the word AREA, then I think I understand
>how to make three REDIRECTS that would each have AREAs 0001-9999.

But you do since you are specifying file names.

>Or is what I want to do impossible?

No, not at all.  You just have to have distinct file names for the
three different sets of data you want to use (WEAK, STRONG, etc).

>If AREA needs to be used,
>how do you work with more than 9999 areas?

You don't at one time.

>Is that making sense?

Yes.

>I do now understand  how to use the REDIRECT
>and DSSERVE commands as you use them... I'm just trying to see if
>it's possible to do what I mentioned.

It is possible if you segment the file name space.  Why not choose
something like:

WEAK primary images live in names AREA0001 - AREA0099
WEAK subsectted images live in names AREA0100 - AREA0199

STRONG primary images live in names AREA1001 - AREA1099
STRONG subsectted images live in names AREA1100 - AREA1199

etc.

>Once I've get mcidas to
>recognize all my images, and the subsetted images, and the modification
>to them, I'm going to have more than 9999 images, so I need to know
>how to do that.

You are really going to have more than 9999 images?  Your examples so
far list only a few images of each kind.  If you are going to end up
with lots of images, then you will need to access sets of them at
one time.  For instance, you could access all of your WEAK cases
individually, then all of the STRONG, etc.  This could be done
easily by setting up McIDAS BATCH files that would be used to change
the REDIRECTions based on the investigation type.

Since you say that you will have more than 9999 images all totaled,
let's assume that each individual case has less than this number.
What I have in mind is something like the following

Create the three McIDAS BATCH files BEST.BAT, WEAK.BAT and STRONG.BAT
in your McIDAS working directory.  These files will be simple.  The
would contain a REDIRECTion that identifies where to look for images
when working with that class of images.  For instance:

BEST.BAT contains:

REDIRECT ADD AREA* "/fractal/s2/allard/mcidas/weak

WEAK.BAT contains:

REDIRECT ADD AREA* "/fractal/s2/allard/mcidas/weak

STRONG.BAT contains:

REDIRECT ADD AREA* "/fractal/s2/allard/mcidas/strong

When you want to work with the BEST images, you would run:

BATCH BEST.BAT

With this setup, you would work with one set at a time, in this case
BEST.  You are limited to 9999 images in this one set, but that should
be doable (true?).

When you want to work with the WEAK images, you would run:

BATCH WEAK.BAT

and you would be pointing to the images in /fractal/s2/allard/mcidas/weak,
etc.  Make sense?

>I ran through what you did below, and I understand this (believe it
>or not).

I had no doubt that you would.

>I think I'll stop at this point to see if I'm making sense
>and you understand what I'm asking.

I am beginning to get the drift.  I had no idea that you would be dealing
with so many images.  I now understand why you wanted to do the REDIRECT
for WEAK*.  I think that the REDIRECT examples contained in the proposed
BEST.BAT, WEAK.BAT, and STRONG.BAT files will get you where you want to
go.

>Thanks for the help...

No problem.  I think that you are close to getting moving on the analysis.

Tom