20001026: McIDAS-X on Solaris SPARC using gcc/f2c at stc

>From: alan anderson <address@hidden>

Alan,

>I know you are busy, Tom, so I understand if you cannot reply
>right away.

If we can't get your problem resolved quickly, I will have to wait
until a week from tomorrow to devote to it.

>I got the f2c stuff from Sandy, thanks, and put it
>in the directories you listed for me when we did the same kind of
>build on Solaris for intel.  Noticed that Sandy did not send a
>copy of fc, but found that it existed in /usr/bin.

The gzipped file that Sandy put in the incoming directory of FTP
had three files in it:

/home/ftp/incoming% gunzip f2c.sol.sparc.tar.gz
/home/ftp/incoming% tar tvf f2c.sol.sparc.tar
-rwxr-xr-x 8446 2000  323584 Oct 25 17:15:26 2000 f2c
-rw-r--r-- 8446 2000    4688 Oct 25 17:20:22 2000 f2c.h
-rw-r--r-- 8446 2000  337552 Oct 25 17:25:52 2000 libf2c.a

So, you can see that f2c was included in his file.

>Must have come with the OS.

I doubt that this is the case, but...

>The gcc stuff also downloaded and
>installed without any problems, and also resides in the expected
>place (/usr/local/bin).  This is all on a host called hobbes.
>
>I have set up my mcidas and mcadde accounts as directed,

One must edit ~mcidas/mcidas7.6/src/makefile and set VENDOR to be -gcc
to use gcc.  My documentation was in error in the Notes and Warnings
online page.  It said to set VENDOR to blank, but this was wrong (it
is now corrected)!

>and edited
>my .cshrc file which I included below.  Also, listed the same
>directories in the path statement for .mcenv as for .cshrc.

>mcinstall went fine.
>
>Still, when I tried the make, it soon halted with the output you see below.

I suspect that the non-Ansi copy of cc that is shipped with Solaris SPARC
was used when the Tcl/Tk configure was run.

Yup, I logged in and did the following:

which cc
/usr/ucb/cc

This told me that the configure for Tcl/Tk (and netCDF) was using /usr/ucb/cc
since the CC environment variable was not defined.  I include how to set
this below.

Here is what I did:

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd mcidas7.6/src
make clobber
cd ~mcidas
<edit .cshrc>

Add the following section to the bottom of .cshrc:

setenv CC /usr/local/bin/gcc
setenv CPPFLAGS -DNDEBUG
setenv CFLAGS -O
setenv FC /home/mcidas/mcidas7.7/src/mcfc
setenv FFLAGS -O
setenv CXX

source .cshrc

Verify that you can access gcc and f2c:

which gcc
which f2c

verify that CC is defined to be /usr/local/bin/gcc:

echo $CC

cd ~mcidas/mcidas7.6/src

<edit makefile and set VENDOR to be -gcc>

make all

>The last line is same as I received when doing a make over a year ago,
>at which time my path statement in .cshrc was faulty, but I cannot see
>an error in that line now.

The problem was that the Tcl/Tk and netCDF configure invocations using
/usr/ucb/cc.

>When I look at the path line after typing
>'env' it looks just like it should, at least to my simple mind.

It was missing the CC, CFLAGS, FC, FFLAGS, and CXX definitions I list
above.

>So, I request advice from the best.
>
>Thanks in advance.

As I write this, the build is proceeding nicely.  I won't hit send until
applications start being linked.

>The following is the result of a  make mcx on 10/26/00
>
>hobbes% make mcx
>rm -f cal_init; cp cal_init.sh cal_init; chmod 755 cal_init
>rm -f disable_mcidas_gui; cp disable_mcidas_gui.sh disable_mcidas_gui;
>chmod 755 disable_mcidas_gui
>rm -f enable_mcidas_gui; cp enable_mcidas_gui.sh enable_mcidas_gui; chmod
>755 enable_mcidas_gui
>rm -f fx; cp fx.sh fx; chmod 755 fx
>rm -f mcidas; cp mcidas.sh mcidas; chmod 755 mcidas
>rm -f mcidasx; cp mcidasx.sh mcidasx; chmod 755 mcidasx
>rm -f mcservsh
>Updating mcservsh...
>chmod 755 mcservsh
>rm -f mcar; cp mcar.sh mcar; chmod 755 mcar
>rm -f mccomp; cp mccomp.sh mccomp; chmod 755 mccomp
>rm -f tclcomp
>sh tclcomp.sh /home/mcidas/tcl ../tcl ../tk tclcomp
>tclcomp.sh: Couldn't find Tcl configuration information
>*** Error code 1
>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `tclcomp'
>%hobbes
>

>Here is the contents of  mcidas'  .cshrc file
>
>hobbes% more .cshrc
>#this is the configuration file for user mcidas, using the C shell
>#
>umask 002
>setenv McINST_ROOT /home/mcidas
>if ( ! ${?MCPATH} ) then
>setenv MCDATA /home/mcidas/workdata
>setenv MCPATH ${MCDATA}:/home/mcidas/data:/home/mcidas/help
>setenv MCGUI /home/mcidas/bin
>setenv MCTABLE_READ "${MCDATA}/MCTABLE.TXT;/home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT"
>setenv MCTABLE_WRITE "/home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT"
>setenv XCD_disp_file $MCDATA/DECOSTAT.DAT
>endif
>setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/lib:/lib:/usr/lib
>#
>#
>setenv PATH
>${MCGUI}:/usr/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/local/bin::/usr/dt/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:
>/bin:/usr/ucb
>hobbes%

<later>

It seemed to work.  The last thing I did before logging off was:

make install.all

Tom

>From address@hidden Thu Oct 26 15:46:52 2000
>Subject: mcidas build

Tom

I heard hobbes start to chatter, so suspected you were
working.  Looked at my .cshrc, and found several new
setenv lines which I obviously forgot to do.

Thanks

Alan