20001025: McIDAS-X 7.7 ADDE dataset configuration (cont.)

>From: address@hidden

Jennie,

re: new ADDE access method is only for imagery

>Hmmm,  just saw this note.  This is bummer news.

Yes, it is bad news!

>It also explains why
>I wasn't able to pull up grids (I thought it was some other problem).

Again, I will be looking into adding the appropriate functionality
after the workshop is over.  I started code diving the other day, but
I found that the mods that would be needed would be more than I
could knock off in a couple of hours, so I backed off.

>I have redirections defined for the individual datasets in my user
>account (for accessing data as local), so I guess I can customize these
>for mcadde.  Again, changing redirections for user mcadde will only
>affect remote access to data and will not have any impact on the
>realtime work (right)

Absolutely correct.

>because those processes are all working with
>local data (and theirfore the Mcidas user's environment which includes
>its redirections, etc.).  Just clarifying my thoughts here I guess.

Your remote ADDE access setup is now in good shape for you to make
mods without affecting any real time processing.

>Good to read this, I was just about to try to build a bunch of cross
>sections for presentations next week.

I would have informed you from Madison, but I didn't have access to a
computer until the last day I was there.

>Anyway, sorry now that you wasted time setting things up over here.
>Like you said, at least I can pull up the images.

It wasn't a waste of time at all.  I found the problem by doing the
clean install on your machine (I even mentioned to you that I found some
things that I needed to discuss with SSEC).

>I can't believe, I finally make it to Boulder during a McIDAS workshop,
>and I have to be across town for another workshop, oh well.  Good luck
>with it, hope all goes well.

Yes, this is really too bad.  My workshop appears to be fully subscribed
at 16 people.  You never really know, however, until the workshop starts.

>>From address@hidden Wed Oct 25 21:26:22 2000
>
>Well, just an addendum to my last message.  I did set up some
>redirections within the mcadde account to see the TOPSEB grids (a
>subset of the topse data), and this worked fine.

OK.

>I was able to overlay
>some grid data onto a TOPSEB image, so I didn't break anything that
>worked before either.  But, here is the kicker, as I said, I wanted to
>run a set of cross sections....aha, I never think far enough ahead.
>The cross section command (XSECTG) isn't an ADDEiszed command anyway,
>still depending on GRIDFILE#s and GRID#s.  This too is a bummer....the
>agony of transitioning software.

XSECTG is not an ADDE command, but UACROSS is!  UACROSS is the ADDE
replacement for XSECT and XSECTG.  It has been SSEC tested for XSECT
functions, but it has not been well tested for XSECTG functions.
Please check out the online help for UACROSS and try displaying some
GRID cross sections.  You may be able to do what you want with what you
have.

>Oh well, at least I still have another office where all this stuff
>works, so I will just build the cross sections tomorrow.

OK, if you have time, please give UACROSS a whirl.

>Just thought I would offer this as an example of how the needs of the
>user can always find a way to slip outside the boundaries of what
>works.

Not quite :-)

>So, since I think you said you just went to a MUG meeting, dare I ask,
>will commands like XSECTG eventually be supported within the ADDE
>structure?

See above.

>I don't suppose I need to point out that it is important
>functionality.  (And please don't tell me that users who want this kind
>of thing should use GEMPAK....we should have the ability to manipulate
>imagery _and_ slice and dice in one package....  McIDAS has always been
>that package, I hope that isn't changing!  :-)  Just my $.02).

It wasn't until 7.7 that I felt that I could "force" my user community
to transition to ADDE use.  Given the calculation facilities in the
surface and upper air plotting routines (e.g., SFCCON, RAOBCON), and
given ADDE cross sectioning, I am now ready to do a wholesale dump of
non-ADDE commands in favor of their ADDE counterparts.  This is something
that I have been anxious to do for about 4-5 years!

Tom