20000914: conversion from Slackware to RedHat Linux

>From: "Alex Huang" <address@hidden>

Alex,

>Since the middle one, gateway machine, is not usable.  Maybe I can use it
>as a test pc for installation of Red Hat and McDIAS-X.  I hate to let you
>continue the present effort for something that will not last.  Furthermore,
>not many students are using McIDAS-X anyway.

Ouch.  I don't like to hear this!

>So I am suggesting to forget about Slackware.
>Let me know what you think.
>Thanks,

>Tom,
>What should I start with McIDAS-X installation? (I know, it is a stupid
>question).

The best thing is to use the online installation/configuration information
you can find at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/mcidas-x.html

The online docs do a step-by-step installation and configuration, so, if
one does not try to skip steps, everything should go smoothly.

>Thanks,
>Alex

Tom