20000824: McIDAS-X SYSKEY problem

>From: Mark Tucker <address@hidden>

Mark,

>Hi, I'm having a problem with our McIdas installation on our ldm server
>where the SYSKEY.TAB is not getting updated.
>
>I have the redirection for SYSKEY.TAB pointing to
>/var/data/ldm/mcidas/xdata
>
>running dmap.k SYSKEY.TAB produces the following results:
>
>cirrus:~> dmap.k SYSKEY.TAB
>PERM      SIZE LAST CHANGED FILENAME   DIRECTORY
>---- --------- ------------ ---------- ---------
>-rw-         0 Aug 24 18:17 SYSKEY.TAB /var/data/ldm/mcidas/xdata
>0 bytes in 1 files

The file is zero length (SIZE column).  Try copying the SYSKEY.TAB
distributed with McIDAS-X (~mcidas/data/SYSKEY.TAB) to
/var/data/ldm/mcidas/xdata.   If you had linked the distribution copy
to the output data directory previously so that the distribution copy
is now also zero bytes long, you will need to recreate SYSKEY.TAB:

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd workdata
SYSKEY

This takes the settings in SYSKEY.DOC (which gets installed in ~mcidata/data)
and (re)creates a new SYSKEY.TAB.  After making a new SYSKEY.TAB, it might
be a good idea to reset your routing table entries:

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd data
cp DROUTE.BAT LROUTE.BAT               (as instructed in McIDAS install docs)
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> your_full_email_address
  cd pub/mcidas
  get CIMSS.BAT
  quit

edit LROUTE.BAT and add the CIMSS.BAT contents to the end of LROUTE.BAT
so that the end of the file looks like

REM RELease all NIDS products
ROUTE REL R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 R6 R7 R8 R9 RA RB RC RD RE RF RG RH RI RJ RK

REM RELease all image composite entries (note:line is commented out!)
REM ROUTE REL N1 N2 N3 N4 N5 N6 N7 N8 CI CV CW

REM RELease UW MD files (note: line is commented out)
REM ROUTE REL MA RM RS

REM
REM CIMSS Products: Cloud Top Pressure, Precipitable Water, Sea Surface Temp.,
REM                 Lifted Index, CAPE, Ozone

ROUTE ADD CA AREA 1100 1109 CC=3 SYS=2173 2174 2175 PP=CTP.BAT "Cloud Top
Pressure
ROUTE ADD CB AREA 1110 1119 CC=3 SYS=2176 2177 2178 PP=PW.BAT "Precipitable
Water
ROUTE ADD CC AREA 1120 1129 CC=3 SYS=2179 2180 2181 PP=SST.BAT "Sea Sfc.
Temperature
ROUTE ADD CD AREA 1130 1139 CC=3 SYS=2182 2183 2184 PP=LI.BAT "Lifted Index
ROUTE ADD CE AREA 1140 1149 CC=3 SYS=2185 2186 2187 PP=CAPE.BAT "CAPE
ROUTE ADD CF AREA 1150 1159 CC=3 SYS=2188 2189 2190 PP=OZONE.BAT "Ozone
ROUTE REL CA CB CC CD CE CF

REM Done!
:EXIT

Now, do the routing table update:

<as 'mcidas' still>
cd ~mcidas/workdata
dmap.k ROUTE.SYS                     <- make sure you are "pointing" to the
                                        copy of ROUTE.SYS in
                                        /var/data/ldm/mcidas/xdata
batch.k LROUTE.BAT                   <- create a new routing table
route.k REL C                        <- RELease decode of CIMSS products and
                                        creation of GOES-East/West composites
route.k REL N                        <- RELease creation of image/topography
                                        composits

>The file permissions seems reasonable:
>cirrus:~/data/mcidas/xdata> pwd
>/var/data/ldm/mcidas/xdata
>cirrus:~/data/mcidas/xdata> ls -l SYSKEY.TAB
>-rw-rw-r--   1 ldm      udata          0 Aug 24 18:13 SYSKEY.TAB

Yes, but the file was zero length.

>I have followed the installatinon instructions on the Unidata web site as
>closely as possible and I cannot determine what I've done wrong.

I can't explain the zero length file, but I am certain that it is causing
your problem.

>Thanks

Later...

Tom

>From address@hidden Thu Aug 24 12:57:15 2000
>Subject: Re: 20000824: McIDAS-X SYSKEY problem

> <login as 'mcidas'>
> cd workdata
> SYSKEY
>
> This takes the settings in SYSKEY.DOC (which gets installed in ~mcidata/data)
> and (re)creates a new SYSKEY.TAB.  After making a new SYSKEY.TAB, it might
> be a good idea to reset your routing table entries:

[snip]

Tom,
Thanks, that seems to have gotten things working.  More testing....

Mark Tucker
Information Technology
Lyndon State College
address@hidden