20000816: McIDAS LINUX build mcwish problem

>From: "Thomas L. Mote" <address@hidden>

Tom,

>Yes, it's me again. As I said this morning, I (you!) seemed
>to have tackled all of the significant problems with McIDAS
>on my LDM server.

Please let me know when port 503 is opened so I can give remote
access a try.  Also, if you decided to transfer the GINI images
to the server/LDM machine, the setup for ADDE access to the
images will need to be updated.

>Our lab director purchased some new PCs and they are not
>compatible with Solaris x86 (ugh!) so we have installed
>LINUX. I tried for several days swapping video cards, etc.,
>to make them work with x86, but it was too much.

Which Linux (RedHat, Debian, Mandrake, SuSe, etc.)?  Which version?

>I downloaded the McIDAS code and followed the instructions
>completely, I think. The build seemed to go fine until I
>got to the tclcomp issue.

If your version of Linux is "modern" (like RedHat 6.x), tclconfig
should not have to be run.

>I ran tclcomp before doing a
>"make all". The make all looked good, but when I did a
>"make install.all" it failed saying it didn't have what was
>needed for wish.

The correct order is:

o make sure CC is correctly defined if it is defined at all as an
  environment variable

o make all

If you have any portion of a previous build attempt (like you do now),
then do:

cd mcidas7.6/src
make clobber
make all

>I went back and ran tclcomp again, make all. It said there
>was nothing to do in the tcl or tk directories. Obviously,
>make install.all failed again.

tclcomp is run by make from the McIDAS makefile.  In older versions
of Linux (RedHat and Debian), one had to run tclconfig first.  The
need for this went away in RedHat Linux with version 5.2, and it
is definitely gone with 6.x (I have done this on 6.0, 6.1, and 6.2
on my machine at home).

>Is there something else with the tclconfig that I am
>missing? I have defined McINST_Root and all the compiler
>flags in the .cshrc and sourced it. I have also made a link
>from /usr/local/lib to /usr/lib for the f2c library. (I
>also did the same for the include file and f2c execuatble.)

Hmm...  I always put the static f2c library in the /usr/local/lib and
then set my LD_LIBRARY_PATH with /usr/local/lib as the first library
directory to be searched.  The reason for this is that the shared f2c
library does not contain the MAIN__ entry point.  If you only have the
static f2c library in /usr/lib, then there is no reason to even have a
/usr/local/lib or to define LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

>I had a similar problem when I built it on Solaris x86 for
>the first time, and in your fix you made the changes I
>mentioned to the .cshrc. This seems to be a slightly
>different problem (of course!).

One thing that may be going on here is the possibility of you not having
a correct version of f2c, f2c.h, and libf2c.a.  If you are running on
a version of Linux that uses the latest version of libc, then older
versions of f2c, etc. will not work.  They don't core dump or anything;
they just produce 0-length object modules.  When it comes time to start
linking applications, the link fails.  I make the correct versions
of f2c available in the unix/760/fortran/RedHat6.x directory.  Were you
using these?  If so (again) what version of Linux are you using?

>I'm sorry to keep hitting you with questions. I do
>appreciate your help!

No problem.

Tom

>From address@hidden Wed Aug 16 13:28:01 2000

re: if start moving GINI data to new directory on server, have to modify
ADDE configuration

>Will do. The software to transfer the data using the LDM won't work (as
>far as I can tell) with newer versions of the LDM. I will stick with a
>NFS mounted drive. There will soon be a fiber optic connection between
>the two hubs that support the NOAAport machine and the LDM server.

re: which Linux
>RedHat 6.2, should have mentioned that.

re: on RedHat 6.x, tclconfig should not have to be run.

>OK, that could change things.

re: make sure CC is correctly defined if it is defined at all as an
environment variable

>echo $CC
>/usr/bin/cc  (which is a link to gcc)

re: If you have any portion of a previous build attempt (like you do now),
then do:
cd mcidas7.6/src
make clobber
make all

>giving this a try... will come back and fill in this comment when it
>finishes

>OK, I'm back. That did the trick. The only thing different I did was
>NOT to run the tclconfig. I guess that made the difference. I should
>have noticed that the instructions were for RedHat 5.x, not 6.

>See, you try to make things easier for us and what does it get you. We

>Thanks.

Tom