20000804: Old OS/2 McIdas System (cont.)

>From: "E. A. Ripley" <address@hidden>

Earle,

>I've tried out the commands below with complete success. Yes the imagery is
>certainly impressive.

Good.  Glad you like it.

>The plots appear very quickly...

The interesting thing is that ADDE is faster in accessing data from a
local machine (one on a local network) than direct access using NFS!

>I have tried a few surface plots but am not sure yet abour surface contours.

Doesn't SFCCON work for you?

>I do have a few questions that I haven't been able to sort out yet,
>though....
>
>How can I use my previously defined map of western Canada for plots &
>contours?

The plotting routines like SFCPLOT that we distribute in our version
of McIDAS understand 'OLAY' as a map type.  If you can generate your
map using the MAP command, then you can overlay on top of your map.
Here is an example that demonstrates the concept:

SF 1
EG B
MAP DEF 1 LAT=35:37 68 LON=67:33 160:25 SLON=105 PRO=CONF NAME=OUTLUSAM
SFCPLOT T OLAY 12 2000217

>How can I plot surface temperatures in Celsius?

The 7.5 (and later) version of SFCPLOT accept the UNIT= keyword.  You
can specify the units for a Temperature plot as:

SFCPLOT T OLAY 12 2000217 UNIT=C

>Is there a substitute for ALOOP?

IMGLIST is the command that can load single image or loops of images.
For instance, try loading a loop of 10 GOES-West VIS images centered
on Saskatoon:

IMGDISP RTGINI/GW1KVIS STA=CYXE MAG=-2 EU=IMAGE ALL=1 10 SF=YES REFRESH='EG
(GRA);MAP H GRA=(GRA)'

>I have been able to plot upperair contour maps but not SKEWT diagrams yet?

SKEWT is a non-ADDE command.  You need to use UAPLOT instead of SKEWT:

UAPLOT 72469 12 2000217

UAPLOT also allows you to use the upper air station ID if it has one:

UAPLOT KDNR 12 2000217

The two things you will not be able to do in 7.5 are upper air and grid
cross sections.  Both XSECT and XSECTG are non-ADDE routines.  In fact,
it wasn't until the 7.7 version that there has been an ADDE cross section
plotting routine.

Tom