20000803: mcidas mapping (cont.)

>From: David Fitzgerald <address@hidden>

Dave,

>Go ahead and log on to a test account I have
>
>login into haze or breeze.millersv.edu as they are two of the faster
>machines.

OK.  I logged into breeze and could not start a McIDAS-X session with
17 frames because the shared memory needed is not available.  Looks
like the shared memory stuff on breeze still needs to be setup.

Have you tried logging as your test user on breeze and verified that
the map problem from MCGUI exists?  If not, could you try it please
(see below).

>One thing to note, my users umask is set to 077, and their primary
>group depends on whether they are students,faculty or staff.  I don't
>remember reading anywhere thay the users have to be part of a
>particular group for mcidas to work.

OK.  I see if this makes any difference.

>I also tested the group idea in my personal account, making my
>mcidas/data directory group writeable, but since my primary group is
>"staff" I'm not sure how that would help, it being different than the
>mcidas group of "programs".

Users not in the same group as 'mcidas', 'mcadde', and 'ldm' do not
need to setup things for others in their group to be able to access
their stuff in any way.

>Anyway feel free to poke around.  I'm sure it is something I screwed up
>in the setup somehow.  I seem to have a mental block when it comes to
>working with McIDAS!

I logged in and tried to bring up a McIDAS-X session with MCGUI running,
but for some reason the McIDAS image window is not being reparented by
MCGUI.  I have a feeling that this is may be a timing issue, so I will
have to try again at some other time (like late at night).

>Also if you want to look at the mcidas account on my server, snowball,

OK.  Thanks for reminding me.  I may well have to get in to the 'mcidas'
account to poke around.

>Thanks for you help!

No worries.

Tom

>From address@hidden Fri Aug  4 08:32:29 2000
>Subject: 20000804 mcidas mapping

Tom,

Sorry about that, there was a typo in my /etc/system file.  Its fixed now and
you should be able to run mcidas on breeze now.

Thanks!

Dave

(I told you I have a mental block about this program!)

David Fitzgerald
System Administrator            Phone: (717) 871-2394
Millersville University         Fax: (717) 871-4725
Millersville, PA 17551          E-mail: address@hidden