20000727: McIDAS-X installation at Western Michigan (cont.)

>From: "Leonard J. Peirce" <address@hidden>

Leonard,

re: testing ADDE on s418

>I telnetted to s418 on ports 500 and 503 and things look fine.  The
>network is fading in and out so it's a bit spotty.  Give it another
>try and see if it works.

I was unable to telnet to these ports from Unidata this morning, but
I was able to telnet to the machine and login as 'mcidas'.  I tried
out some ADDE stuff from s418 and it is close to working.  The thing
left to do is make the HOME directory for 'mcadde' the same as that
for 'mcidas'.  If that can't be done for some reason (I do this all
of the time), then I will need to be able to write to ~mcadde (create
files; create directories), and the /etc/inetd.conf entries for ADDE
will have to be changed.  I would much prefer that ~mcadde be the
same as ~mcidas.

After ADDE is up and working, there are a couple of things that need to
be done as 'root' to the LDM installation so it will work.  We can
talk about that later.

Tom