20000719: McIDAS-X installation at Western Michigan (cont.)

>From: "John D. Tucker" <address@hidden>

John,

re: Internet access to s418
>The machine is up, running fine, and can be seen only intermittantly via
>the network.  I have a simple shell script that allows me to ping machines
>and identify those that are not responding (thus indicating a problem).
>Running it repeatedly (next interation started when prior one stops) has
>DIFFERING reports of machines in that subnet going in and out functional
>existance.

This sounds ugly.

>Having a cronjob on s418 to ping another (remote) machine does not appear
>to make a whole lot of difference.  Our network people are looking in to
>this problem in hopes of resolving it ASAP.
>If you can not get to s418, just try again immediately.

Thanks.  One more thing.  My build of McIDAS-X bombed last evening.
I seem to remember that I got to the exact same point the last time I tried to
build McIDAS, and the problem was that I ran out of disk.

OK, I was just able to logon.  Here is what I was presented with:

UNIX(r) System V Release 4.0 (s418) (pts/2)

login: mcidas
Password for mcidas:

Quota:  $500.00         Used: $55.00          Balance:  $445.00

Last login: Tue Jul 18 17:36:06 from laraine.unidata.
Over disk quota on /home7, remove 3994K within 6.1 days

So, I _did_ exceed the disk quota.  I just deleted the McIDAS distribution
tar file which gives me an additional 40 MB, but I still need more room to
build McIDAS.

Tom